LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 55 sites in 17 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including; packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
The R&D Polymer Research Scientist will be responsible for supporting polymer structure-property research, testing investigations, method development and product development efforts in the physical property testing laboratory. The laboratory is a team based research and testing environment focused on the delivery of accurate data to support the polymer business, manufacturing and material development needs of the company. We are committed to continuous learning, intellectual curiosity and growth.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Strong commitment to personal safety, the safety of co-workers, and promoting a safe work environment, consistent with company and site HSE goals.
- Assist with the technical development of laboratory team; providing fundamental polymer knowledge, design of experiment review, data analysis support and oversight of the production of technical reports.
- Participate on product development teams to provide material property and test support. Assist with workflow scheduling based on development team priorities.
- Serve as a focal point for physical property testing and polymer morphology questions from internal and external customers.
- Conduct various physical property tests including: tensile, flex, izod/charpy, melt flow, density, multi axial impact, strain hardening, FNCT, PENT, LTHS, barrier permeation, tear and environmental stress crack.
- Independently advance ideas for future research projects. Lead research groups to complete projects on time and on budget.
- Complete written documentation of both personal and group projects.
- Conduct investigations into laboratory testing issues based on a fundamental understanding of both the polymer properties and the contributing method variables.
- Work with manufacturing and non-US research sites to harmonize test results and standardize test methods.
- Participate at relevant national ASTM/ISO meetings
- Collaborate effectively with others in a team environment to accomplish group and site goals to achieve optimal results in a safe and effective manner.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering required
- Highly self-motivated individual, committed to delivering results.
- Excellent attention to detail, with strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent data analysis skills.
- Strong leadership and teaching skills.
- Strong computer skills, including MS Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Positive team behaviors, including interpersonal skills, positive attitude, sharing information, and giving and accepting feedback.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent scientific writing skills.
- Good organizational and time management skills, able to effectively manage multiple and/or changing priorities with minimal supervision.
- Excellent eye-hand coordination and range of motion; Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- 2 years of relevan experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of polymers, morphology and fracture mechanics preferred.
Builds effective teams:
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity:
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Cincinnati