Nippon Seiki is a world-class manufacturer of instruments for vehicles, agricultural, and construction equipment. Established in 1945, Nippon Seiki Co., Ltd. is headquartered in Japan, in 26 facilities worldwide. N.S. International, Ltd. ('NSI'), a group company of Nippon Seiki, located in Troy, MI, is a tier one supplier of instrument clusters and head-up display units for FCA US, General Motors, BMW, Honda, Harley Davidson, Suzuki, Polaris, Arctic Cat and other OEM's.
Manages assigned engineering programs serving as the main liaison between customer release engineers (or Application and global leads) and internal engineering departments at NSI including program managers. Assists customer in defining requirements, evaluating HUD design alternatives, verifying HUD performance, resolving issues and improving processes, help create and develop engineering tools and work on new processes to improve all aspects of HUD design and release.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- While located at customer site, Design Release Engineer will support GM programs as assigned by GM lead and NSI Leadership.
- Support and train less experienced HUD Design Release Engineers.
- Works with GM, NS and NSI Design Engineers to package the HUD in the IP.
- Attends all meetings involving the assigned HUD programs (PDT, SSR, VCIT, CPIT, SDIT, studio, etc.) and communicates all information/issues back to the NS/NSI HUD team.
- Collaborates with customer to create change authorization to implement HUD changes and communicates to appropriate staff at GM and NSI.
- Works with Program and Platform Managers to coordinate necessary engineering changes with GM.
- Creates engineering work orders (EWOs) for all HUD associated changes.
- Coordinates the delivery and release of NS/NSI reviewed, validated and approved optical/mechanical HUD documentation to GM.
- Coordinates meetings, supports evaluation events, and prepares presentation materials for collaboration with windshield suppliers.
- Supports all HUD optical evaluations (buck, windshield, CTF, etc.).
- Conducts DIT reviews with customer to ensure HUD quality meets software requirements for scheduled builds.
- Maintains customer fleet of benches and vehicles up to date with HUDs as required.
- Helps create, develop, and maintain training documents regularly on NSI database server.
- Helps create and update lesson learned documentation from current programs, and shares among team members.
- Helps develop new engineering tools and processes to improve product quality and engineering work efficiency.
- Conducts benchmark analysis on competitive products and engineering tools/process and reports to leadership.
- Tracks and supports all issues associated with the IVER, non-saleable, saleable and CTF fleets of vehicles.
- Tracks status of assigned programs via customer database (i.e. Covisint, Supply Power, Embassy, APM, etc.).
- Coordinates and conducts open issue meetings for customers.
- Relays all program content, timing requirements, and deliverables to NSI.
- Manages and reviews program CAD models for packaging and graphics specifications, and gets customer’s approval.
- Coordinates the HUD drawing release at the customer including verifying correct part numbers, approved GD&T, Teamcenter release, mainstream model (VAS), etc.
- Responsible to ensure hardware and software specifications are frozen and approved by customer by required date.
- Responsible for getting all validation, performance, and appearance approvals to meet program timing.
- Conducts TALC and AAR reviews (if required) with customer and obtains customer approval as scheduled.
- Provides technical support to NSI's Quality group for trouble shooting warranty return parts.
- Performs software updates (if required) when software changes are released and reports back and track any issues.
- Conducts bench simulation and in vehicle testing to root cause and HUD issues.
- Reviews internal Temporary Work Notices (TWN) and Design Change Notices (DCN) to resolve technical issues
- Helps coordinate writing customer’s technical requirements/specifications and test plans as required.
- Coordinates the procurement of tools needed by outside vendors to service NSI HUDs.
- Performs other duties as assigned, as well as develops and maintains positive customer relationships.
Formal Education and certification:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical/electrical engineering or an engineering discipline.
Knowledge and experience:
- Minimum 5 years of automotive engineering industry work experience or in application engineering
- Minimum 5 years of experience designing interior automotive parts or application engineering.
- Minimum 2 years of experience with software simulation tools for CAN/LIN using CANoe, vSpy, and diagnostic tools.
- Good analytical skills in testing HUD parts and good visual inspection skills preferred.
- Leadership skills to mentor engineers and to discuss reports or present other materials to customer.
- Clear understanding of DFMEA, Design and Validate Document (DVP&R).
- Basic skill level to operate CAD software or VIS mockup (Unigraphics & Catia V5).
- Basic knowledge of electrical circuits.
- Proficiency using MS Office software: Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, and internet software.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Flexibility to work at different customer sites, labs, garages, and benches.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with customers and multi-cultural teams.
- Knowledge of HUD optical mechanical concepts of module design and release preferred.
- Knowledge of GM systems and process for electronic module deign and release preferred.
- Skills in capturing and root causing software and packaging issues related to HUD design, and good understanding of hardware issues preferred.
- Knowledge of HUD controls and features, and the interaction with software/hardware preferred.
- Knowledge of HUD CTS (component technical specification) preferred.
- Knowledge of HUD optical mechanical design theory preferred.
- Adaptation/Flexibility: Includes keeping an open mind regarding new ideas and ways of doing things. Willing to consider alternative interpretations or ways of looking at the situation. Demonstrating flexibility.
- Initiative/ Results Driven: Includes setting high standards of performance for self and others. Striving to accomplish goals even if it means personal sacrifice. Putting the goals of the organization above own goals.
- Judgment/ Decision Making: Includes making decisions and takes actions that have beneficial impact. Effectively evaluating information in order to come up with sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Resource Management: Includes setting clear objectives to guide action for self or others to accomplish goals. Organizing or adjusting information, people and materials to meet those goals.
- Team work: Includes encouraging and supporting the ideas and effort of others. Finding ways to help the team or group perform effectively.
Travel: Ability to travel 10%, international and domestic
Availability: Monday-Friday, Normal Business Hours. Off-hours as needed.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
N.S. International, Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.