One of the largest telecommunications companies in Alaska is currently seeking a Ruby on Rails Developer.
This position may work from a GCI office in Anchorage, AK, or Denver, CO or Colorado Springs, CO.
This candidate will apply principles and techniques of computer science, engineering and mathematical analysis to design, develop, document, test, debug and support new and existing software systems and solutions which solve business problems and support the goals of the company.
Development and Design
* Design, develop/build and test applications, integration's, scripts, automation and other software solutions that meet business objects and requirements while adhering to the SDLC, security standards, development guidelines and best practices. Define system performance standards and KPI's.
* Properly and accurately estimate, track and document all development efforts to all departmental and team standards and specification requirements. This might include, but is not limited to, detailed LOE estimates, technical specifications, flowcharts, architectural diagrams, administration instructions, and end-user manuals,
* Collaborate, as needed, with project managers, business analysts and other developers as well as other project resources during the scoping, requirements gathering and design phases of projects. Comply with all project plans throughout the development process.
* Provide exceptional customer, end-user and stakeholder support at all times.
* Troubleshoot and debug solutions to resolve incidents and ongoing problems.
* Monitor systems performance and identify areas of improvement.
* Upgrade, reconfigure and improve solutions, as needed, to achieve high usability, reliability, availability, accuracy, and performance and either reduce or eliminate technical debt.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
Demonstrated ability to:
* Apply Engineering principles and techniques of Computer Science, Engineering, and mathematical analysis.
* Ability to work with other developers and inter-disciplinary teams collaboratively and professionally.
* Follow and enforce established procedures.
* Research new configuration tools and methodologies.
* Research new software development tools and methodologies, evaluating opportunities for efficiency or quality gains.
Knowledge of and experience in:
* Software languages and platforms particularly needed for troubleshooting modern development platforms and frameworks.
* Enterprise-level integration technologies, tools, and patterns including, but not limited to: J2EE application servers, Webservers, RESTful web services, ActiveMQ, Camel, etc.
* Applications and Service Monitoring and Telemetry such as Splunk, ELK (Elasticsearch / Logstash / Kibana), Prometheus, Grafana, Monit, etc.
* Database solutions such as MySQL, MongoDB, Oracle, MS SQL, NoSQL, etc.
* Operating systems such as Windows, UNIX, Linux, etc.
* Configuration management, Agile processes, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery and build procedures, including source control and build tools such as SVN, Artifactory, GIT, Bamboo, Chef, Jenkins, etc.
* TCP/IP and higher-level networking protocols such as HTTP, FTP.
* Telecom and OSS concepts including order management, provisioning, service assurance, trouble management, billing and invoicing.
* Database concepts.
* Enterprise software concepts such as transactional processing, clustering, high availability and redundancy.
* Software functionality and performance testing.
Communication Skills: Create clear and easily understood written documentation for a variety of audiences, including, business analysts and end-users. Use a blend of written communication techniques, including software diagramming such as UML. Take initiative to communicate among teams, including remote team members.
People and Self-Management Skills: Build and maintain effective working relationships with leadership, peers, customers and vendors. Work to resolve problem relationships directly. Take initiative and seek out opportunities. Assess and accept risks and learn from mistakes.
Customer Service Skills: Provide a professional level of service to internal customers. Take ownership and accountability of problems and facilitate finding a solution, involving other groups as necessary.
This position will focus on UI and Full Stack:
UI and Full Stack Software Engineers are responsible for design, implementation, test and support of software development with a focus on UI Web application development. Strong experience in such a domain is required with emphasis on Angular v.7 and above. Familiarity and experience in telecommunications including the following OSS and BSS concepts: customer relationship management, order management, provisioning, logical and physical inventory management, trouble management, billing and invoicing.
Additional Job Requirements: Establishes standards for software 'build' process used to organize/document artifacts from developer build requests. Materially participates in the Company's adoption of continuous integration and development operations practices as well as applicable ITIL practices.
* Minimum six years in software development, configuration management, or similar technical role, to include Experience with multiple OS scripting languages and Web-based scripting technology is required.
* Experience within a telecommunications industry preferred.
* High school diploma or equivalent required.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field required.
* Or a combination of relevant work and/or education sufficient to perform the duties of the job may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
* Certifications: Industry-specific certifications highly valued and may contribute toward education
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, such as the modification or adjustment of the job application process or interviewing process due to a disability, please call 888 472-3411 or email accommodation@teksystems .com for other accommodation options.