- Bachelor's degree in Safety, Safety Management, Transportation, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics or a related field.
- In lieu of a Bachelor's degree, a high school diploma or GED and four (4) years of progressively responsible experience/training that includes safety management, transportation, engineering, mathematics, computer science, statistics, data analysis, database management or a related field to satisfy the minimum education requirement.
A minimum of six (6) years of progressively responsible experience that includes data analysis, database management, delivering oral and written reports, and regulatory compliance.
- Must successfully complete Roadway Worker Protection course within thirty days of hire.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued from the jurisdiction of residence.
- Master's degree in Safety, Safety Management, Transportation, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics or a related science field
- A Transit Safety and Security Program (Rail or Bus) certification
- Previous multi-modal transit safety experience. Medical Group:
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Safety Data Analyst supports the Occupational Safety and Health division of Department of Safety and Environmental Management (SAFE) by identifying and analyzing leading and lagging indicators of organizational performance and safety culture, including, but limited to: accident and incident reports, supervisory safety observations, work orders, and key performance indicators. The incumbent maintains compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Recordkeeping and National Transit Database (NTD) reporting requirements, and must be able to perform duties 24/7, including nights, weekends, and holidays. The Safety Data Analyst may be required to participate in emergency response or on-call rotations, to promote the Authority's transit-support goals.
- Conducts complex trend analyses geared toward reducing accidents and injuries and recommends management and intervention strategies to enhance safety awareness and accident reduction. This includes filtering and 'cleaning' raw data by reviewing primary and secondary sources to locate and correct errors in data entry and identifying incident trends and hazards within the WMATA Rail, Bus and Paratransit systems.
- Prepares complex analytical reports related to leading and lagging indicators of safety performance that support internal and external customers, by informing internal and external stakeholders of incident trends and hazards within the WMATA Rail, Bus and Paratransit systems.
- Identifies and implements data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies for optimum statistical efficiency and quality; improving existing data collection systems by identifying efficiencies associated with decreasing time required for data entry.
- Manages the National Transportation Database (NTD) on a daily basis by completing reports submitted to the NTD. Receives and reviews approximately 100 accident/incident reports daily from all disciplines of the Authority and categorizes the accidents/incidents for data entry and maintains Safety and Security (S&S) Reporting within the NTD reporting site. Coordinates annual S&S-20 certification, to ensure compliance with NTD S&S reporting requirements from DOT/FTA and prevent restriction of FTA funding.
- Supports administration of WMATA's Safety Measurement System and associated modules. Facilitates training and troubleshooting with internal customers, to ensure compliance with SMS reporting requirements and in accordance with Policy 10.4.
- Supports accident investigations by preparing analytic reports of similar accidents, and identifying key factors. Analyzes incident data and evidence to write, rewrite and edit major incident investigation reports in order to ensure accurate Key Factors and Root Cause determination of major incidents is performed, system-wide hazards are identified, and corrective actions are taken.
- Develops policies and procedures in support of system safety programs. Develops requirements for special emphasis programs and makes appropriate recommendations for their incorporation into respective Authority programs. Ensure data-driven improvements are recommended accordingly to existing programs.
- Performs OSHA Recordkeeping and maintains OSHA 300,301, 300A logs. Acts as Liaison with Federal, state and local Departments of Labor for incident-based and annual reporting purpose to facilitate compliance with annual, and serious injury/fatal reporting requirements to the associated Federal, state and local reporting authorities, including web Single Sign On (SSO).
- Performs fieldwork, including Job Hazard Analyses, data collection and work process evaluation at bus divisions, rail yards, rail stations and the railroad right-of-way, in support of SAFE mission, to reduce hazards.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.