LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the third consecutive year.Basic Function
We are seeking a Safety Engineer to fill the position of occupational safety subject matter expert at our Channelview Complex. In this role, you will proactively take ownership, and influence decisions for the development and continued improvement of site safety and health programs and processes.Roles & Responsibilities
* Develops, implements and improves health & safety policies, procedures and their supporting programs including associated training
* Develops and performs safety assessments and training to ensure regulatory compliance
* Researches and interprets new and current regulatory requirements and makes recommendations on policies and procedures as required
* Provides health & safety consultation to capital and expense plant small project efforts from project conception through execution phases
* Serves as a consultant and coach for technicians in operations, laboratory and maintenance functions during routine and non-routine activities including outages and turnarounds
* Serves as the Occupational Safety subject matter expert for plant management, internal customers and fellow HSE team members
* Participates in company-wide Best Practice Teams related to occupational safety
* Provides OSHA regulatory interpretations to the line organization
* Assists the organization as well as contractors in the development of safe methods for performing non-routine work
* Leads, participates in and supports incident investigations as necessary
* Evaluates effectiveness of assigned area safety programs, recommends improvements, and works with management to implement recommendations
* Mentors less experienced personnel within the Health, Safety and Emergency Services Groups
* Supports and participates in emergency response activities
* A minimum of a BS in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Fire & Safety or a related technical discipline.
* A minimum of 5 years petrochemical plant experience in one or more Occupational Safety & Health roles
* A non-technical bachelors or graduate degree may be considered if candidate possesses 10 years of plant experience with 5 or more years of direct Occupational Safety and Health experience.
* Demonstrated time management skills and ability to support changing priorities
* Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing with internal and external clients
* Expert knowledge of OSHA 1904, 1910 and 1926 regulations
* Ability to work in and around petro-chemical facilities
* Skilled at preparing and delivering presentations and training to diverse audiences
* The person in this position will be expected to work independently with a level of oversight / supervision commensurate with experience level
* The person in this position will be expected to continually develop professionally and provide guidance and mentoring to those with less Occupational Safety and Health experience
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston