LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 55 sites in 17 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including; packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
We are seeking a Safety Engineer to fill the position of occupational safety subject matter expert at our Channelview Complex. In this role, you will proactively take ownership, and influence decisions for the development and continued improvement of site safety and health programs and processes.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Develops, implements and improves health & safety policies, procedures and their supporting programs including associated training
- Develops and performs safety assessments and training to ensure regulatory compliance
- Researches and interprets new and current regulatory requirements and makes recommendations on policies and procedures as required
- Provides health & safety consultation to capital and expense plant small project efforts from project conception through execution phases
- Serves as a consultant and coach for technicians in operations, laboratory and maintenance functions during routine and non-routine activities including outages and turnarounds
- Serves as the Occupational Safety subject matter expert for plant management, internal customers and fellow HSE team members
- Participates in company-wide Best Practice Teams related to occupational safety
- Provides OSHA regulatory interpretations to the line organization
- Assists the organization as well as contractors in the development of safe methods for performing non-routine work
- Leads, participates in and supports incident investigations as necessary
- Evaluates effectiveness of assigned area safety programs, recommends improvements, and works with management to implement recommendations
- Mentors less experienced personnel within the Health, Safety and Emergency Services Groups
- Supports and participates in emergency response activities
- A minimum of a BS in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Fire & Safety or a related technical discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years petrochemical plant experience in one or more Occupational Safety & Health roles
- A non-technical bachelors or graduate degree may be considered if candidate possesses 10 years of plant experience with 5 or more years of direct Occupational Safety and Health experience.
- Demonstrated time management skills and ability to support changing priorities
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing with internal and external clients
- Expert knowledge of OSHA 1904, 1910 and 1926 regulations
- Ability to work in and around petro-chemical facilities
- Skilled at preparing and delivering presentations and training to diverse audiences
- The person in this position will be expected to work independently with a level of oversight / supervision commensurate with experience level
- The person in this position will be expected to continually develop professionally and provide guidance and mentoring to those with less Occupational Safety and Health experience
Builds effective teams:
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity:
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston