Redwood City, CA
We are seeking a full-time PhD Virologist Lead to join our collaborative team. This individual, reporting to the Vice President of Research Development, will contribute to the development of the human metapneumovirus program, as well as additional pipeline candidates. The candidate should be passionate about our company mission of improving global public health by developing innovative and safe vaccines against important respiratory viruses. The ideal job candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience working with RNA viruses and ability to translate their knowledge into practice. Interest and experience working with a small team in an entrepreneurial environment with broad responsibilities and opportunities is highly desirable. The candidate should have a high level of integrity and an ability to take on different roles as required in a rapidly evolving and opportunistic environment. The candidate should be able to lead independent projects and be a team player that shares the founders' passion for bringing vaccines to patients.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- The PhD virologist will perform and support research and preclinical activities leading to IND submissions across the portfolio including generation of pipeline vaccine candidates, managing proof-of-concept animal studies at Contract Research Organizations (CROs), and support clinical assays.
- The virologist will present her/his results at national and international meetings and provide project updates to senior management.
- The candidate must be self-motivated to stay current with the literature and should have strong written and oral communications skills.
- Cloning and generation of RNA viruses using recombinant DNA techniques
- Characterization of RNA viruses by Western blots, Northern blots, growth curves, and sequence analyses of virus genomes
- Design and perform antibody assays – plaque neutralization assays, ELISA, and other immunology assays
- Collaborate with the manufacturing team to generate vaccine product for clinical evaluation
- Participate in regulatory submissions
- Manage junior scientists
- Interact and manage vendors and CROs