This position is responsible for providing architectural and structural design leadership on data architecture, with a specific responsibility for data protection. This includes supporting and guiding data-centric projects, initiatives and systems; contributing, recommending and advocating best practices and standards for data protection, data models, data flows, patterns and systems; supporting architectural governance processes, compliance with data protection regulations, and adherence to core data principles and policies; and assessment and awareness of relevant technologies.
These responsibilities will cross organizational and business unit boundaries, engaging with data-centric initiatives wherever they occur. This position must engage with both technical and business leadership of data initiatives, must engage and liaise with the Data Protection Office, and work with Architects across the organization.
This position will report into the Lead Architect, Data.
- Establish an awareness and familiarity of, and engagement with key data projects and initiatives.
- Establish strong familiarity with data protection regulations, and with interpretations of such regulations.
- Ensure data protection registry accurately records and reflects the current state of systems, and meets the needs of the Data Protection Office.
- Provide consultancy and leadership for data stores, data flows, and processes which handle data subject to data protection regulations.
- Provide consultancy and leadership for data flows and processes arising from data protection obligations, including the handling of data subject rights.
- Plan for the evolution of data-centric systems, including the retirement and replacement of existing systems.
- Provide consultancy and leadership on data protection concerns.
- Provide consultancy, leadership, and promotion of data and engineering best practices to data-centric initiatives.
- Provide data architecture and design support for large data initiatives and engineering efforts.
- Promote the Unified Reference Architecture (URA) and align data projects, initiatives and systems with the URA.
- Promote and advocate an company-wide, holistic data architecture, including linked data principles.
- Provide consultancy and leadership to ensure data systems, initiatives and practices comply with data security and data privacy regulations, guidelines and laws.
- Proactively monitor the health and design of data systems, and write proposals to remedy the cause of negative trends.
- Evaluate relevant new technologies and their applicability to the business.
- Perform technical evaluations of acquisition candidates as required.
- Act as a conduit between the Architecture and Technology teams.
- Work across/with Architects from different organizations.
- Introduce/trains teams with new technology, best practices, and data protection obligations.
- Problem-solve, involving leading teams in identifying, researching, and coordinating the resources necessary to effectively troubleshoot/diagnose complex project issues.
- Extract/translate findings into alternatives/solutions, identifying risks/impacts and schedule adjustments to facilitate management decision-making.
- Drive technical direction and architecture evolution via reviews and on-floor leadership.
- Proactively monitor updates to data protection legislation and regulations, assess potential impacts, and recommend revised practices.
- Proactively monitor new development to Client subsystems, components, datasets and processes that should be evolved into shared data infrastructure.
- Proactively research, monitor, learn, and assess industry/technology advancements and continually build alliances to explore ways to leverage and advance our technical opportunities.
- All other duties as assigned.