Here at Discount Tire, we celebrate the spirit of our people with extraordinary pride and enthusiasm. Our business has been growing for more than 55 years and now is the best time in our history to join us. We recognize that to remain the industry leader we must continue to grow and evolve our business in a rapidly changing industry. We are achieving this, not only by opening new stores, but by transforming our technological landscape and making data a central component of our strategy. The Business Analytics team, one of the fastest growing teams in the company, is leading this change. We are responsible for driving the insights, recommendations, and developing the decision support tools that influence the strategic direction of the company.
Under minimal supervision, the Senior Data Engineer is responsible for the design, build and implementation of cloud-based analytics platform which includes an MPP Enterprise Data Warehouse and other Big Data technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to the strategic direction and decision making related to Data Warehousing, Big Data and Data analytics in close collaboration with Technical Leadership.
- Designs and develops high performance distributed data warehouse, distributed analytic systems and cloud architecture
- Develops, launches and maintains efficient and fault tolerant, batch and streaming, data pipelines (ETL/ELT) to populate databases and object stores from multiple disparate data sources
- Develops complex data calculations through data integration tools and scripting languages
- Designs and implements data quality metrics, standards, guidelines; automates data quality checks / routines as part of data processing frameworks; validates flow of information
- Determines Data Warehousing and Big Data infrastructure needs, including but not limited to, automation of system builds, security requirements, performance requirements and logging/monitoring in collaboration with DevOps engineers
- Troubleshoots complex data and performance related issues; implements adjustments, documents root cause and corrective measure; transfers knowledge to operations support team
- Documents standards, best practices and technical specifications. Facilitates in design and code review sessions and provides feedback and mentorship to peers
- Provides technical assistance to junior data engineers
- Collaborates with broader analytics team and internal IT partners
- Participates in the development of complex cross application architectures in collaboration with cross functional teams
- Implement advanced analytics and data science models and automates complex analysis at scale
- Stays current on the latest industry technologies, trends and strategies
- Assists employees, vendors or other customers by answering questions related to Data Warehousing and Big Data processes, procedures and services
- Completes work in a timely and accurate manner while providing exceptional customer service
- Provides Tier 3 support and create run books to mentor Tier 1 and Tier 2 support staff
- Other duties as assigned
- This position requires a minimum of eight years of progressive database development and integration experience.
- Proven understanding of logical and physical data modeling is imperative.
- Ability to translate a logical data model into a relational or non-relational solution is necessary.
Understanding of multiple relational (RDMS) and non-relational (NoSQL) data platforms is needed.
- Expert level SQL experience is required. Advanced scripting knowledge with SQL, Python, Java or R is necessary.
- Advanced experience in SQL tuning, indexing, distribution, partitioning, data access patterns and scaling strategies is needed.
- Expert experience with data integrations and data processing for business intelligence and analytics workloads is required.
- Advanced experience with AWS S3 or other distributed object stores, MPP Data Warehousing, (e.g. AWS Redshift), Elastic MapReduce a plus.
- Hands-on experience in database development using views, SQL scripts and transformations is needed.
- Proficient with Microsoft office, including skills with Word and Excel, is necessary.
- Experience working with large complex data sets.
- Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodologies such as Agile and Waterfall is needed.
- Proven analytical problem solving and decision making skills is critical.
- Proven ability to communicate across all levels of the organization is necessary; must be able to clearly articulate technical ideas to a non-technical audience both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and in a team is vital.
- Customer service skills including the ability to manage and respond to different customer situations while maintaining a positive and friendly attitude is essential.
- The ability to multi-task, and manage multiple projects to meet various deadlines simultaneously is required.
- The ability to work efficiently and accurately under pressure, meet deadlines and present a professional demeanor is essential.
- In addition troubleshooting and organizational skills with a can-do attitude and the ability to adjust to changing requirements are essential.
This position requires a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or related or equivalent experience.
Data or cloud related certifications are a plus.
Normal work days are Monday through Friday. Occasional Saturdays and Sundays may be necessary.
Normal work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Additional hours may be necessary.