For over 120 years, ASCO Power Technologies has been pioneering every major product innovation in power transfer technology. Today, we are an industry leader in the manufacturing of automatic transfer switches, industrial control products and power control systems, and the world leader in emergency and standby power transfer solutions. We are the Power Authority - committed to providing a full range of quality-driven products backed by 24-hour nationwide service support.
ASCO Power Technologies, an industry leader in the manufacturing of automatic transfer switches, industrial control products and power control systems, services and solutions, has an exciting career opportunity for a Senior Design Engineer in Clearwater FL.
The Senior Design Engineer designs new, or enhances existing, Surge Protective Devices (SPDs) to meet customer needs in a publicly owned company environment. This includes products for low voltage communication (1V – 60V), low voltage AC or DC power including photovoltaic (120V – 1500V), as well as medium voltage (1500V – 4160V) applications and additional products may be considered within the company’s portfolio including products related to power quality, power monitoring, lightning protection, energy reduction, etc.
- Actively participate in all aspects of product life cycle including: initial conceptualization, commercial feasibility, drawings, material & component evaluation, prototype construction, testing, validation & debugging, Bill of Material (BOM) creation, Manufacturing Instruction (MI) creation, regulatory certification, hand-off to manufacturing, manufacturability enhancements, continuous product improvements, occasional technical assistance of manufacturing & floor support issues, etc. (ASCO utilizes a Product Development Process (PDP) and JD Edwards Enterprise system.)
- Perform UL and ISO quality assurance audits as they relate to methodologies and techniques in UL Client Test Data Programs.
- Participate in the PDP (Product Development Process) with the management team by providing reports at the bi-weekly meetings and completing the records for each product development stage
- Create bills of material for new product development and evaluation
- Participate in forensic analysis & root cause determination
- Review and propose changes as a voting member on various UL Standard Technical Panels (STPs) in the interest of engineering safety and to obtain early notification of standard changes which may affect product design
- Write technical descriptions and specifications for UL files
- Maintain currency with advances in surge protection technology
- Ability to manage projects and coordinate activities with testing laboratories
- Ensure that the Engineering Lab has adequate resources and the trained personnel comply with the requirements of UL 17025
- Assist engineering personnel with difficult troubleshooting problems at component and circuit level, both electrical and electronic
- Provide technical communications with UL project engineers and provide spreadsheets, schematics and drawings
- Coordinates with other departments regarding resources, training, testing and information necessary to introduce new products and improve existing products