Influencer of multi-disciplined engineering team as part of a project-oriented environment to provide guidance, leadership and technical expertise for design projects related to existing and new product development of motor controllers and controls products. Senior Electrical Engineer is responsible for creating high quality custom designed products at a minimum cost while meeting and exceeding customer satisfaction for US Navy, Nuclear and Petrochemical controller applications. The Senior Electrical Engineer will utilize schematic capture, circuit simulation, FPGA programming tools as well as other design and business tools to communicate designs to the business. The products include motor controllers, motor-generator sets, electronic overload relays and bus transfer switches. Comprising these products are Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Variable Frequency Drives (VFD), field-busses, electromechanical switching devices, relays, printed circuit boards and embedded computers.
- Create custom product designs that meet customer requirements, and meet or exceed quality and cost targets.
- Create system block diagrams, schematics, and detailed electrical designs.
- Create product Bills of Materials and execute Engineering Change Requests, and enter into the ERP system (Visual Manufacturing).
- Review Design Specs to understand customer requirements, interact with Sales to prepare proposals as required.
- Support manufacturing to resolve design issues for designs created.
- Support manufacturing to resolve issues of part obsolescence.
- Contributes to project schedules through actively monitoring progress, providing accurate estimates of project tasks, coordinating activities and resolving problems.
- Complete design, drawings, and information requests for Marketing, Proposals, and Field Service.
- Define and Implement process improvements that improve the efficiency of the Engineering Team processes.
- Train less experienced designers and engineers on products, processes, and tools.
Reports to Engineering Manager for Ward Leonard. Ensures that all work is done in accordance with Customer specifications and Company Policy. Keeps Manager aware of all progress, scheduling impacts and problems.
Job requires sitting at a desk doing normal office work, including phone communications and using a computer. Also involves standing and walking in an office and a manufacturing facility.
Environmental / Safety / Time Allocation
- Spends approximately 50% of time working at a desk in a normal office environment.
- Spends about 50% of time on work away from desk, including going out into shop and discussing manufacturing issues with Manufacturing Department personnel. Must wear eye protection and any other required personal protective equipment while on the shop floor.
- Some travel may be required to support Customers or to attend professional development activities.
Minimum Qualifications (Experience, Education, Training, etc.):
- BSEE and 5 years of product design experience with electrical or electro-mechanical systems.
- Proficient in the use of schematic capture, circuit simulation, and other design software.
- Knowledge of industry recognized drafting and electrical CAD standards.
- Working knowledge of design for manufacturability, reliability, and serviceability.
- Proficient in design for Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) mitigation.
- Exposure to Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) applications.
- Basic PLC skills.
- Experience with of industry specifications including MIL specs and standards.
- Demonstrated understanding of design for manufacturability, reliability and serviceability concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross functional team environment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Great attention to detail and quality focus.
- Comfortable with 480 VAC, 3-phase power systems.
- Experience with Solid Works 3D modeling (is a plus).
- Knowledge of power systems and / or industrial automation & controls.
- Knowledge of Naval and commercial power systems.
- Experience entering product structure data into ERP systems (Visual Manufacturing is a big plus).
- Experience with Altium Designer.
- Experience with Lattice and Xilinx FPGA’s.
- Experience with AutoCAD Electrical.