Senior Engineer - Spacecraft Lead
This leadership position is for an experienced system engineer who can lead a spacecraft team from the preliminary design stages through development, test and delivery. The Lead will have responsibility for the overall spacecraft design and architecture.
- Develop and manage the spacecraft bus technical baseline - develop solutions that meet our customer needs and requirements.
- Work with subsystem leads, providing direction and prioritization of tasks and reviewing their design analysis. Detail oriented coach.
- Support preparation and presentation of major design and readiness reviews. Convey to our customers that our craft will do what they need.
- Responsible for generating engineering documents including specifications, environmental design requirements, support to subsystem procurement specifications and statements of work, and test plan development. Own the technical baseline.
- Communicate spacecraft status and risk posture to the program leadership team.
- Lead and guide spacecraft bus vehicle level trades and analysis, balance technical performance, cost and risk.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience (I&T, Mission Operations, Fault Management, or Subsystem expertise).
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Proven success as a technical team lead or deputy (four years required) with experience in most phases of execution of a space hardware program.
- Working knowledge of most spacecraft subsystems sufficient to lead requirements allocation, design trades and performance assessment.
- A current TS/SCI security clearance is required.
- Architect/Design to cost, and new business experience is highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to effectively lead group discussions, ability to set priorities and delegate as required to meet objectives.
- Experience in multidisciplinary team work environment with small team leadership responsibilities.
- A desire to learn. Our culture fosters intellectual curiosity in a highly collaborative environment.
- Good verbal, written and presentation skills are required.
- Working/indirect knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM) is highly desirable.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel may be required.
Relocation is available for this position.