LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the third consecutive year.Basic Function
This position reports to the Director RTR and is responsible for the design, development and delivery of the Lease Accounting strategy and process performance outcomes for the global organization in line with the overall RTR strategy. This includes the accountability for the end to end process design and performance for defined Lease Accounting process elements and actively working with business/functional representatives of interfacing process elements (e.g. other RTR teams, GPU, Manufacturing).
This role includes direct leadership of the Lease Accounting shared service team.
* Lead and mentor direct reports in delivering efficient and effective Lease Accounting solutions in accordance with corporate policies and legislative requirements; specifically:
* Responsible party for all lease determination and classification conclusions under US GAAP and IFRS.
* Manage and is responsible for lease accelerator tool , including master data updates, accuracy of calculations and output journal entries into the ERP system.
* Build, maintain and update global corporate lease accounting policies and asset tracking / management procedures.
* Responsible for the reconciliation of lease accounting data from lease accelerator module to the ERP system and the reconciliation of lease accelerator accounting data to underlying data feeds; ensures completeness in the lease accounting process.
* Develops and maintains management reporting and develops KPIs for the lease accounting function where required.
* In conjunction with the external reporting group, develops, prepares and maintains quarterly and annual lease accounting reporting packages to support regulatory filings under US GAAP and IFRS
* Is the focal point for internal and external audit relating to lease accounting.
* Drive effective cross functional teams, with, but not limited to, procurement, supply chain, manufacturing, accounting and treasury to establish and embed continuous improvement opportunities across the spectrum of tasks/activities/controls in the end-to-end Lease Accounting process.
* Build and manage a high performing global team with globally benchmarked role profiles, team skills gap assessment and appropriate recruitment plan. Manage the hiring process within the agreed headcount budget, ensuring appropriate talent pool is developed, selected and maintained.
* Manage a culture of performance within the team, ensuring the company's performance management process is embedded and delivered within the timelines. This includes ensuring formal performance reviews are conducted to provide real-time affirmative and constructive feedback that is linked to clearly defined and SMART objectives and goals and development plans are implemented to facilitate career path aspirations.
* Deploy and manage strategic discussions with customers including:
* Establish and maintain a process to identify issues, perform root cause analysis and establish appropriate mitigation plans to drive issues to closure. Document current state identifying cross functional disconnects and interface issues.
* Identify and prioritize process improvement.
* Final approver for all related SEC and IFRS lease accounting related information before submission
* Develop and roll-out process goals and align job performance roles and responsibilities accordingly to deliver.
* Create and track process performance indicators and metrics and explain trends in performance against benchmarks.
* Develop, implement and maintain appropriate accounting procedures and process controls in accordance with Sarbanes Oxley and in compliance with corporate and accounting policies.
* Establish and monitor a process budget to ensure appropriate allocation of resources to meet process goals and to positively influence the budget of functions contributing to processes.
* Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance.
* Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant accounting/finance experience.
* Previous public accounting experience required.
* Supervisory experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline driven environment.
* Strong technical knowledge of USGAAP and IFRS accounting principles related to a wide variety of topics.
* Previous experience in optimizing or re-designing existing processes and driving continuous process improvements.
* Experience with Internal Controls and SOX/404 requirements.
* Strong computer skills with advanced knowledge of financial systems and software.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential.Preferred Qualifications
* Big 4 Public Accounting experience preferred.
* Finance Professional certification (e.g. CPA, CIMA) is highly desirable.
* Experience with HFM/Hyperion, SAP, Oracle or LeaseAccelerator preferred.
* Previous experience with ASC842 Lease Accounting Standard including lease classification, contract reviews and technical accounting research preferred.
* Knowledge of configuration, design and testing of SAP asset module and/or project systems module.
* Demonstrated experience operating in a metric driven environment preferred.Critical Behaviors
1. Customer Focus
Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
2. Building Effective Teams
Blends people into teams when needed; created strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging to the team.
3. Process Management
Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can't; can simplify complex processes; gets more out of fewer resources.
4. Drive for Results
Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
6. Problem Solving
Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers.
7. Decision Quality
Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
8. Business Acumen
Knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, technology and information affecting his/her business and organization. Knows the competition. Is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston