The Senior Operations Research (OR) Analytics Developer performs full systems life cycle management activities (e.g., analyses, requirements, design, coding, testing, implementation, etc.) to model UPS business situations resulting in the development of applications and algorithms. He/She collaborates with analysts, users, and planning groups. This position applies application development and optimization techniques to business problems (i.e., gathering of requirements, researching technical methods, and creating prototypes, and gathering of data). He/She provides subject matter expertise, development, maintenance, and support for both applications and business needs.
The Senior OR Analytics Developer analyzes, designs, codes, tests, and corrects moderately to highly complex programs to develop optimization tools and heuristics and to ensure optimal performance and compliance. He/She confers with other groups (e.g., Industrial Engineering, Information Systems (IS), Transportation, universities, etc.) to identify issues. This position gathers and develops needed data sources. The Senior OR Analytics Developer records and updates the defects log to ensure thorough and accurate documentation. He/She monitors project activities to ensure IS standards and policies are in compliance.
- Meets with user groups to determine the nature of the problem and desired completion schedule.
- Analyzes problems and employs appropriate methods to ensure effective resolution/s.
- Performs build processes to produce software and to prepare tools for delivery.
- Reviews technology trends (e.g., periodicals, internet research, department staff consultations, etc.) to increase application development expertise.
- Participates in UPS company activities (e.g., clubs, committees, etc.) to foster personal and professional development and to enhance professional marketability.
- Participates in internal and external training to increase technical skills, job knowledge, and performance effectiveness.
- Breaks down complex ideas into comprehensible concepts to ensure appropriate level of communication and understanding for the project stakeholders.
- Applies Disaster Recovery Knowledge: Demonstrates basic knowledge of theories supporting disaster recovery planning; demonstrates understanding of continuance plan for own application or function; executes existing disaster recovery plans in case of outage; escalates issues if critical applications are at risk.
- Designs/Develops Integrated Solutions to Business Problems: Demonstrates a broad understanding of business requirements or critical elements of a problem; identifies the impact of a problem on multiple areas of the business; recommends improvements to existing processes or programs.
- Knowledge of Emerging Technology: Assists with application of new technologies for solving business information needs. Supports new technologies. Maintains basic understanding of potential risks and rewards with emerging technologies.
- Problem Management: Assists with the implementation of agreed upon problem remedies and preventative measures.
- Project Planning: Demonstrates an understanding of basic project planning processes, including planning action items and resources.
- Technical Problem Solving and Analytical Processes: Conducts root cause analysis and diagnoses and manages technical problems using pre-defined steps, limited experience, and available tools. Identifies and documents changes that need to be made to established procedures. Makes recommendations and resolves moderately complex technical problems. Contributes to the identification of inefficiencies and deficiencies in processes and applications during walk throughs, tests, and actual execution. Proposes improvements to processes and applications and executes the agreed upon changes designed to improve processes and applications.
- Technology Knowledge: Recognizes the basic impact of technology on UPS business, services, and processes; identifies technological barriers in achieving desired objectives; maintains appropriate breadth and depth of technological knowledge for current work assignment.
- Bachelor's Degree (or internationally comparable degree) – Computer Science, Mathematics, or related field – Preferred
- Master’s Degree (or internationally comparable degree) – Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law