The Senior Laser Process Engineer will be responsible for creating technical solutions across a variety of Cardio & Vascular projects. The engineering role performs assignments involving considerable responsibility including the development of innovative manufacturing processes with an emphasis on quality, high yields and process capability. Laser process support of new and existing laser systems. Be the laser technology SME to ensure we keep up with technology advancements and integrate them into our production areas. This position will also collaborate with R&D to implement laser material processing including laser welding, cutting, ablation and marking for new products. Development will be performed on equipment located in our Chaska Minnesota facility.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Adheres to Integer's Values and all safety, environmental, security and quality requirements including, but not limited to: Quality Management Systems (QMS), Safety, Environmental and Security Management Systems, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, company policies and operating procedures, and other regulatory requirements.
- Develops new and unique approaches to complex problems and advance technology beyond previous company involvement.
- Plans/develops engineering projects concerned with unique or high-profile problems which have important effect on major organization programs.
- Provides management with technical guidance as required.
- Identifies and procures the appropriate process equipment.
- Investigates, develops and implements new process technologies of major scope.
- Maintains liaison with individuals and business units within or outside his/her organization with responsibility for acting independently on technical matters pertaining to his/her field.
- Subject matter expert in engineering specialty/application
- Develops novel laser welding and ablation process solutions to establish and improve laser processing capabilities.
- Interface with customers, suppliers, and internal cross-functional team members to develop specifications, coordinate prototype fabrication of customer designed parts, and transition prototypes into manufactured components.
- Project member for new design and development teams requiring laser processing.
- Provide technical expertise to develop new or make improvements to existing laser equipment with a drive to increase process efficiency, product quality and cost as a part of ongoing CI activities.
- Drives CI activities specific to laser systems and identifies process improvement opportunities for current production processes that could benefit from laser implementation.
- Develop roles and necessary training plan for all the key associates to support the lasers.
- Carries out training for laser safety and operation for all areas.
- Implements new laser systems, fixtures, and processes for welding, cutting, ablation and marking materials.
- Provides planning inputs and executes on project deliverables to meet established metrics.
- Conduct equipment and process validation activities.
- Provide cost-saving initiatives by evaluating manufacturing processes while maintaining quality standards.
- Create and analyze prototype products.
- Generates, reviews and approves engineering change orders.
- Investigates root cause for product and process failures and establishes corrective actions.
- Design experiments to provide data-based conclusion about a process or product performance.
- Recommend and rationalize specifications for development products.
- Lead and provide input to risk analyses.
- Works in an office, lab and clean room environment.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Applied Physics, or related field. Master's degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum Experience: 7+ years of experience
Knowledge & Skills:
- Must have experience with laser processing platforms and technologies.
- Knowledge in laser welding and ablation KPIV's and KPOV's for various materials and wavelengths
- Experience with FDA/ISO regulations.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills. Proficiency with root cause and statistical analysis tools.
- Well organized with strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills for effectively interfacing with internal and external customers.
- Computer skills as required by stated accountabilities. Advanced word-processing and spreadsheet skills. Complex problem solving skills
- Special Skills: Demonstrated ability to lead team activities. Strong ability to coach. Advanced problem solving skills. Strong communication, presentation, follow-through, and organizational skills. Ability to effectively work with coworkers and all levels of the organization.