- Develops, modifies, enhances and implements software systems designed to support new or existing business initiatives.
- Projects are usually of considerable complexity and require a strong knowledge of development tools.
- Works in most phases of a project and may review work of less experienced staff members.
- Performs maintenance and provides technical assistance and advice on existing software solutions.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively and consistently supports all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience
- Codes and performs unit and integration testing of software to ensure proper and efficient execution and adherence to business and technical requirements
- Codes, tests, and debugs new software or makes enhancements to existing software
- Writes programs according to specifications
- Participates in code review sessions to validate adherence with development standards
- Develops and maintains technical documentation
- Serves as secondary escalation point to resolve incidents and problems for production applications and web services supported by the team in accordance with identified Service Level Agreements
- Collaborates with customers, internal and cross-departmental technical teams to identify software problems and communicate remediation plans
- Generates a variety of complex and periodic reports and/or data through database
- management, data administration and data extraction techniques
- Provides general system users and management with system analysis and feedback
- Influences system design by identifying and recommending design and requirements needs for software enhancements
- Mentors and coaches less experienced staff
- Maximizes the efficiency of the various software systems by implementing, monitoring, testing and auditing new software programs
- Participates in continuous performance improvement sessions to discuss opportunities to improve processes or standards
- Analyzes and resolves computer related problems by coordinating with in-house personnel to diagnose and fix operational difficulty, as well as consulting, advising and training on specialized features and functions
- Follows established configuration/change control processes
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Knowledge of Voice, Data, Video, Wireless technologies
- Understanding of software design patterns and principles
- Ability to identify measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, uncertainty, and incomplete information when evaluating alternatives and making recommendations
- Ability to work seamlessly within a team as well as manage individual tasks
- Strong technical knowledge of Information Technology field and computer systems
- Demonstrated communication skills (written, interpersonal, presentation), with the ability to easily and effectively interact and negotiate with business stakeholders
- Creative and abstract thinking skills to envision and design innovative solutions to business opportunities and challenges
- Proven ability to work independently; designing, developing and deploying solutions, and to deliver projects on time with minimal direction
- Ability to listen and evaluate all opinions without bias, and contribute to a common culture of excellence
- Deployment/Release Management platform experience. Preferably Aldon Deployment Manager platform.
- Recent and demonstrable experience with RPG, RPGLE, RPGSQL, RPG Free, CL, Integrated Language Environment (ILE)
- Recent and demonstrable experience I Series data base concepts ( Physical Files, Logical Files, Data Areas)
- FTP/SFTP experience, ability to understand secure file transfer between different systems. Experience with Goanywhere preferable.
- Knowledge of basic I Series concepts – User security, IFS, Interactive/Batch jobs, display files
- Experience with Web Services, ability to understand the web services concept
- Experience with java programming, exposure to building, running java pgms on the I Series.
Related Work Experience:
- 5+ years of experience with DBMS
- 5+ years of experience with coding, testing and design
- 5+ years of experience with software development methodologies