Senior Research & Development Scientist
This senior-level research and development scientist is responsible for developing innovative and differentiated product technology in support of the Company's overall business strategy across all targeted market segments. This position will have a significant focus on identifying and developing halogen-free flame-retardant technology for use in multiple market and product segments, including low-, very low-, ultra-low- and extremely low loss resin systems for use in printed circuit boards. This position will work closely with other R&D scientists, as well as applications engineering, process engineering and marketing staff in order to ensure research is aligned with both current and future market needs. The Senior R&D Scientist has expert knowledge of flame-retardant chemistry, especially halogen-free flame retardants for use in formulating resin systems used in prepregs and laminates used to build printed circuits. Knowledge of and experience with the other properties that prepregs and laminates must possess is also important.
- Identify and develop appropriate halogen-free flame retardants, both reactive & non-reactive, for use in different types of polymer resin systems targeted for different product-market segments and applications.
- In addition to resin system development based on halogen-free flame retardants, provide expert technical support to other research & development staff globally.
- Conduct internal testing on new product candidates to ensure ability to meet UL94 V-0 and other product requirements.
- Support new product development efforts from R&D through pilot development and scale-up to volume manufacturing.
- Maintain an external competitive assessment focus to stay abreast of the latest scientific approaches being developed in the industry
- Develop close relationships with key external suppliers in support of new product development efforts, including suppliers of flame retardants, polymers, fillers, reinforcements and copper foils.
- Support the Company's IP development.
- This position will not directly manage other people
- Applications Engineering/Technical Program Management (TPM): TPM helps insure that new products meet the requirements of our customers, providing valuable Voice of the Customer (VOC) to the R&D staff developing new products.
- Development & Process Engineering: as part of cross functional NPD teams, work with engineering staff to define and validate manufacturing processes for new resin systems.
- Supply Chain: Early identification of potential new chemistry and sourcing needs to ensure products are launched with a cost effective and robust sourcing strategy.
- Legal: Support the Company's IP strategy which may consist of patent applications and/or trade secret
- Program Management: Support program definition and milestone development, especially during early product development stages to ensure research is in line with overall R&D budget and market requirements.
- Graduate level degree in a scientific field such as Chemistry, Materials Science or related technical discipline is preferred; combination of education and experience also considered.
- Minimum of 6 years of industry experience
- Ability to work effectively with people in other functions and regions
- English speaker required, multilingual ability is a plus
- Commitment to maintaining and improving Environmental, Health & Safety practices
- Significant experience & expertise with halogen free flame retardants
- Track record of new product development
- Experience with mixing and treating processes used to make prepregs and laminates is a plus
- Works collaboratively with peers and other staff in Engineering, Technical Program Management, Product Management/Marketing, Supply Chain, and other functions.
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter who is able to work under pressure with a minimum level of supervision while meeting agreed upon project time lines
- Deep technical knowledge in halogen free flame retardants and application in materials for printed circuits.
- Strong communication skills - must be effective in communicating with personnel at all levels
- Demonstrates the Company's Values - Put Safety First, Be Customer Focused, Collaborative, Courageous and Accountable.
- Knowledge of Laboratory and Process Safety methods and procedures
- Ability to work in laboratory environments, handling materials and chemicals related to the manufacturing of copper glad laminates and prepregs
- The US: All positions, except for those in the office, require completion of Physical Demands Assessment
- Material science company specializing in laminates and prepregs used in the manufacture of printed circuit boards
- Approximately 200 employees at headquarters located in Chandler, AZ collaborating with some R&D conducted at Singapore facility
- Flexible working hours required to work with Singapore team
- Some travel will be required depending on the location
- Relocation assistance available
- This is a new position working on a new product that the Scientist will develop, pilot, and scale up for the Company. The Scientist will have some opportunity to define the role themselves.
- Direct Placement/Permanent Hire
- Salary: $100,000 - $200,000
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, such as the modification or adjustment of the job application process or interviewing process due to a disability, please call 888-237-6835 or email accommodation@aerotek .com for other accommodation options. However, if you have questions about this position, please contact the Recruiter located at the bottom of the job posting. The Recruiter is the sole point of contact for questions about this position.