Role: Senior Systems Engineer
Location: Tysons Corner VA (On-site Position)
Client develops, operates, and maintain an advanced project delivery application platform to support infrastructure maintenance management, construction, and field service projects. The successful candidate will join a dynamic multidiscipline team responsible for design, implementation, integration, and support of the application platform in secure cloud-hosted and on-premises environments. As part of the team, the Senior Systems Engineer's responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to) the following:
- Plan, deploy, and administer Windows Server and/or Linux server instances and related infrastructure
- Configure and maintain core network services such as DNS, NTP, DHCP, SMTP, etc.
- Deploy application software, database instances, and other components.
- Plan, evaluate and execute server upgrades, install software patches, carry out system backups
- Evaluate security posture of existing infrastructure and apply system hardening configurations as necessary
- Troubleshoot common infrastructure and application problems
- Work closely with System Architect, System Administrators to drive best practices across the environment
- Work as the escalation point for the application support team(s) with respect to the computing environment
- Create and maintain detailed and accurate system documentation (system design and configuration plans, design diagrams, task-oriented procedures, and other system documentation)
Specific qualification requirements for the position include the following:
- 5+ years overall progressive experience as Windows System Administrator (e.g. Windows Server 2016/2019) orRHEL System administrator
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services
- Hands-on experience creating and maintaining Group Policy Objects (GPO)
- Troubleshooting common OS and networking issues using industry-standard tools
- Implementing security controls, infrastructure vulnerability scanning and remediation leveraging tools like Nessus, OpenSCAP, etc.
- Scripting (e.g. PowerShell, Ansible, etc) to automate system configuration and administration tasks
- Experience in deploying, configuring, and/or using system management and continuous monitoring tools, such as SolarWinds, Nagios, HBSS, Splunk, is a plus
- Thorough understanding of AWS cloud services and technologies, including compute, database, storage, network virtualization, and other platform services, strongly desired
- Thorough understanding of network infrastructure, concepts of operation, and protocols (OSI layers, TCP/IP, routing and switching, etc.)
- Knowledge of specific network equipment (e.g. Cisco, Palo Alto, Juniper) and working experience with routing, switching, and firewall configuration is a plus
- Demonstrated time management and organization skills while working in a fast-paced, multidiscipline team environment
- Strong Oral, Written and Presentation Skills; proficiency with workflow and lifecycle management systems (e.g. Atlassian Jira)
Education and Certification:
- Microsoft and/or RedHat systems engineer certification is strongly desired
- Security+ or CISSP certification is strongly desired
- Education: Computer Science, Information Technology, or a Related Engineering Discipline
- Master's Degree and 4 + Years of progressive experience or
- Bachelor's Degree and 6 + Years of progressive experience
- US Citizenship is a requirement for this position.