Here at Discount Tire, we celebrate the spirit of our people with extraordinary pride and enthusiasm. Our business has been growing for 55 years and now is the best time in our history to join us. We are opening more locations every year and we are always looking for qualified individuals to join us in our growth. We are a Company that promotes from within, both in our retail and corporate operations.
The Senior Systems Engineer leads the Engineering practice with a focus on optimizing the delivery of capable infrastructure platforms, automated deployment pipelines and robust feedback systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluates functional and technical business requirements and transforms requirements into complex infrastructure solutions. Identify improvements to the process for gathering and documenting requirements. Implements consistent delivery of requirements across all deployed systems.
- Leverages knowledge gained from a broad experience with servers, operating systems, databases, applications and networking to design capable platforms that meet functional and technical requirements. Advises junior system engineers.
- Designs and develops highly available and scalable platforms with a focus on automating all phases of the process using scripting languages, software development, and automation platforms.
- Designs and develops more complex build and deployment platforms with the goal of achieving fully automated CI/CD pipelines. Evaluates the recommendations made by junior engineers.
- Advises and supports junior engineers and product teams in building and operating CI/CD pipelines. Implements more complex solutions. Evaluates the recommendations made by levels one and two system engineers.
- Designs and implement capable system management tools that optimize system lifecycle outcomes.
- Participates in defining the infrastructure development lifecycle and collaborating to continuously improve the practice. Enables the infrastructure development lifecycle by mentoring junior engineers.
- Communicates with stakeholders to assist in the adoption of the CI/CD pipeline methodology. Collaboratively defines the Engineering CI/CD practice.
- Designs and develops capable monitoring, discovery, reporting, alerting, and analytics systems and tools. Collaborates with SRE and monitoring teams.
- Collaborates with product teams, operations management and business stakeholders to optimize system feedback. Mentors junior engineers.
- Communicates with stakeholders to establish adoption of systems monitoring practice. Participates in defining the Engineering monitoring practice.
- Utilizes a broad range of sources to identify opportunities that improve Discount Tire's systems capabilities; including industry trends, research organizations, user groups, and technical conferences. Mentors junior engineers.
- Creates a safe atmosphere for testing ideas. Coordinates across teams to quickly develop concepts and participates in the evaluation. Influences teams that are developing and/or testing an innovation opportunity. Makes recommendations for improvements.
- This position requires a minimum of five years Systems Engineer experience with hands on experience in infrastructure design, automation and administration.
- Broad technical and practical skills with common infrastructure systems including but not limited to: Amazon Web Services, Linux, Microsoft Windows Server, Virtualization/VMware, Server Clustering, MS Active Directory, Enterprise backup, Storage, MS SQL Server, server hardware, Network Protocols, DNS/DHCP, general networking concepts.
- Proven, specialized expertise in multiple technologies including but not limited to: networking (security, routing and switching, voice, etc), common web stacks (LAMP/MEAN), data center infrastructure, monitoring, CI/CD pipeline development, and infrastructure automation.
- Working knowledge of the software development lifecycle.
- Proficient in building complex CI/CD pipelines with automated build tools including Atlassian, Jenkins, Chef, Microsoft SCCM/DSC, AWS CloudFormation and cfn-init.
- Ability to build professional relationships with cross functional teams.
- This position requires excellent communication across all levels of the organization, interpersonal and customer service skills, including the ability to write in a clear and concise manner.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft office, including skills with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio is necessary.
- Ability to identify complex problems, review information to develop and evaluate options, then implement solutions is essential.
- Ability to influence and provide consistent results across all levels of the organization is imperative.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and accurately under pressure, meet deadlines, present a professional demeanor and work well independently is essential.
- Troubleshooting and organizational skills with a can-do attitude and the ability to adjust to changing requirements are essential.
- Customer service skills including the ability to manage and respond to different customer situations while maintaining a positive and friendly attitude is essential.
- This position requires a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Industry certifications preferred
Normal work days are Monday through Friday. Occasional Saturdays and Sundays may be necessary.
Normal work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Additional hours may be necessary.