The LifeVest division of ZOLL Medical Corporation is dedicated to developing the LifeVest wearable defibrillator (WCD) and associated technologies. The LifeVest WCD, worn directly against a patient’s skin, is prescribed to patients at risk of sudden cardiac death (SCD). Every year, 350,000 American lives are lost to SCD. At ZOLL LifeVest, your work will help to ensure cardiac patients get the life-saving therapy they need.
We’ve been Pittsburgh’s Manufacturer of the Year, one of Western PA’s Healthiest Employers, and even one of Pittsburgh’s Coolest Offices. But it’s our unique opportunity to impact people’s lives that makes ZOLL LifeVest the ideal place to build your career.
At ZOLL LifeVest, our vision is to revolutionize the prevention of sudden cardiac arrest, which claims more lives annually than breast cancer, lung cancer and HIV/AIDS combined in the United States. On any given day, tens of thousands of people are protected from sudden cardiac death by wearing the LifeVest.
Fueled by the success of the business, the ZOLL R&D team is growing rapidly. ZOLL’s ongoing investment in Research and Development aims to further increase the array of clinical products and applications in tandem with expanding the population of cardiac patients that may be helped by our products. Our Pittsburgh based R&D group is comprised of an exceptional team of talented, collaborative, and driven individuals focused on developing real world solutions through the creative and intelligent use of technology that helps to improve patient lives.
We are actively seeking technical contributors at all levels and across many disciplines (including enterprise/web and embedded software, electrical/hardware, mechanical/industrial, test, systems engineering, project/program management, human factors, systems analysis, and technical writing among others). You will be developing new and improved products and services, solving technically challenging problems, and working with an outstanding team of technical professionals who are dedicated to protecting patients from sudden cardiac death and saving lives.
The specific duties vary across roles. However, there are some common traits applicable to all:
You need to be well grounded in your technical discipline, ideally through a mix of education and a demonstrated successful track record of performance.
Your passion for your craft will be obvious. You need to be able to juggle multiple responsibilities at once in an exciting, invigorating environment of rapid growth.
You must be able to achieve timely results under high standards of workmanship that are accountable to both regulatory agencies and ultimately our patients.
Here are some specific opportunities currently available at ZOLL LifeVest. We have multiple positions open at each level. If any of these positions sound like a fit for you, please send us a paragraph or two with specific examples explaining why along with your resume.
Responsible for the design, debug and support of software components and utilities used in the LifeVest system. Additional responsibilities include the development and maintenance of software documentation, software schedule development and providing technical support to other departments within the organization. This is a mid-level position that will work under supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs and codes components, units and modules that meet product specification and development schedules.
- Tests and debugs assigned components and units.
- Adhere to product build and release schedules and strategies.
- Works under supervision on moderately complex projects with work checked periodically.
- Conducts root cause failure analysis on devices.
- Conducts design studies for future generation products.
- Supports engineering and other departments on sustaining activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Educations and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer or electrical engineering or equivalent.
- 3-6 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experienced (2+ years) with C and or C++ , 3+ years preferred for C++
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer engineering
- Medical device
- Handheld or wearable devices
- Experience with embedded systems in some or all of the following
- In-circuit emulators in embedded systems.
- Good understanding of microprocessor hardware architectures (preferably ARM).
- Embedded user interface design
- Embedded Linux development
- Unit testing and test automation
- IEC medical software standards or other software quality standards
- Static, dynamic code and code coverage during testing analysis
- Good code style practices
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems and make appropriate judgment calls to insure the correct outcome.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, walk, talk and hear. Employee may occasionally be required to lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
ZOLL is an Equal Opportunity Employer - minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.