Position: Software Engineer (Network Performance and Test Operations)
Location: Portland, Oregon 97204
Duration: 12+ Months Description:
We're looking for a Software Engineer (Network Performance and Test Operations) for our Aviation Development Centers. You will design tests related to network application performance, implement portions of that test architecture, and work with other networking and engineering professionals to conduct comprehensive end-to-end testing of cellular connected and networked drones.
You'll be working in an exciting startup environment (Skyward) within the foundation of a large company (client). You will have the freedom and autonomy to do your best work, with the support and camaraderie you need to enjoy your job. In this role you will be contributing to the future of cellular networked aviation.
● Test architecture design. Drive application layer network test architecture design for the IoT/drone application execution layer (Linux SBC or similar), the mobile application layer (iOS and Android), the web application server application layer (Linux hosted Java REST applications), and for thick client applications (Windows 10). Collaborate on network layer network architecture design with Internet and private network engineers to identify instrumentation points and approaches for those transport segments and similarly work with cellular network engineers for those portions of the communication and signal path.
● End-to-end test design. Using the test architecture described above, define end-to-end test objectives, test steps, and test evaluation methods for application layer and message-level performance measurement. Work with Internet network engineers and cellular network engineers to draft relevant, related test plans.
● Test network configuration and maintenance. Stand up and configure the aviation development operations network for airborne network testing using your expertise in configuring operating systems and network gear and working with and partner network teams to stand up the test network. Work with partners for network testing of drones, sensors, and other gear.
● Application test system implementation. Implement the application layer and application transport layer test system under idealized bench test laboratory conditions and then in the field for airborne test flights. Serve as liaison to Internet and cellular network test proponent technical leads for related tests.
● Test execution, data collection, and analysis. Oversee the execution of these application performance tests for the Aviation Development Centers in collaboration with other engineers and center test pilots. Work with analytics engineer to consolidate data and findings into organizational data and analytics repositories.
● Recommendations and reports. Consolidate and clearly communicate findings using figures, tables, and narratives to articulate test results. Work with other engineers and pilots to identify flight profiles and workflows necessary for generating test data and replicating network fault data.
● Application, operating system, and IP layer networking experience. 5+ years working with networked applications and analyzing application network performance. Deep understanding of interaction between the application layer, network layer, and potential intermediary communications segments in the network path such as firewalls, caches, proxies, and similar. Understanding of IP layer (TCP/UDP) flows, sessions, and similar.
● Networking device configuration, instrumentation, and monitoring experience. 5+ years experience configuring commercial or prosumer switching gear such as Cisco 4000 and 1000 series integrated service routers, Cisco 800 Industrial Service Routers (IoT), Cradlepoint COR IBR900/1700, or similar. Strongly prefer candidates with experience using IoT routers connected to cellular networks.
● Test suite and traffic generation tool experience. Time synchronization and millisecond level measurement experience using tools such as Spirent's Landslide, Cisco Trex, iPerf or similar. Experience with cellular domain monitoring tools such as Netscout/Truecall, SevOne or similar. Network monitoring experience with tools such as Solarwinds, ThousandEyes, or similar also a plus.
● Report generation and presentation to technical teams. Candidate should be able to gather information from various tools into technical presentations on connectivity information using online tools, online presentation platforms (Google Slides or Powerpoint), and in written reports.
● Cross team coordination. Candidate must be excellent at coordinating across a variety of technical teams across Skyward, client, vendor partners, and regulators.
● Education. Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Telecommunications Engineering, or Computer Engineering preferred but equivalent professional experience considered (10+ years in relevant professional environment).
Ideally, you also have experience with
● Sensor testing experience. Understanding of network testing that includes not only traffic generators, but also involves testing IoT devices and associated sensors (video, LIDAR, or similar).
● Network agent programming experience. Experience writing or modifying network agents that collect, store, and forward data.
● Backhaul, backbone, autonomous systems, or private enterprise network. Experience with traffic monitoring that includes BGP, MPLS, or similar.
● Cellular networks. Experience in network traffic generation that spans from radio segment, cellular core, cloud elements, and private enterprise networks.
● Enterprise environments. Experience deploying, modifying, and maintaining software in enterprise IT environments.
● Experience in analytics and/or aviation organizations.