LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 55 sites in 17 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including; packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
We are seeking a bright, energetic Control Systems Specialist to join the Bayport team.
The primary role of the Control System Specialist is to maintain the existing control systems, control applications and configure changes to the control systems. Main areas of focus include: Systems Responsibilities (SIS/DCS), Advanced Process Control (Regulatory and DMC), Control Loop Utilization and Performance, SIS changes, capital/expense projects, Control Systems Upgrades, Alarm Management, Site Safety Efforts and Professional Development. In addition, the Control System Specialist is the primary liaison between the Control Systems Group and Operations. The Control System Specialist will monitor unit status and periodically attend operations morning meetings.
Roles & Responsibilities
Systems Responsibilities (DCS/SIS Process Historian)
- Day to Day responsibilities for maintaining existing control systems to include 24x7 on call support
- Maintain the plant DCS electronic documentation
- Maintain virus protection on PCN equipment
- Maintain on-site spares for DCS/SIS systems
- Build and update all graphics, programs, or control schematics and assist in training operators.
- Manage preventative maintenance programs for DCS/SIS systems
- Manage the maintenance agreements with the various control systems vendors. This includes the DCS and SIS vendors
- Configure changes to the DCS/SIS to support improvement efforts
- Perform backups of control configuration files
- Makes changes to the process historian to reflect changes made on the DCS
- Assist CSE technologist on System upgrades/maintenance tasks
Advanced Process Control (Regulatory and DMC)
- Provides day to day support of both regulatory and APC applications.
- Perform daily checks of existing APC application performance
- Train operators on the use of process control applications
- Troubleshoot basic and regulatory control application problems
Control Loop Utilization and Performance
- Monitor control loop performance using available software tools
- Work with Control Systems Engineers on changes to improve KPI's
- Troubleshoot and Tune Loops as necessary to improve performance
- Communicate opportunities for performance improvement to Technical/Operations Management
SIS Changes and Upgrade
- Participate in development of SIS Logic modifications and/or SIS systems upgrades
- Primary programmer for SIS changes, all changes will be reviewed with Control Systems Engineer or other Control System Specialist
- Participate in logic reviews with Process Engineering
- Support logic checkout during unit turnarounds
- Provide input during project scope development to ensure feasibility of the project. Serve as subject matter expert in controls and safety systems
- Represent the CSE Group on capital projects as required
- Execute project scope of work as required
- Serve as resource for PHAs
Control Systems Upgrades
- Provide input during project scope development to ensure changes meet requirements of the control systems
- Applies to upgrades of control systems to include the online training simulator
- Monitor alarm performance using the available reporting software
- Work with unit alarm champions on reducing alarms
- Participate in alarm rationalizations as needed
- Communicate alarm KPI's to site management
Site Safety Efforts
- Lead and participate in Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA) teams as required
- Complete assigned IMPACT action items
- Complete assigned Computer Based Training modules (CBTs) each quarter
- Actively participate in site safety programs including but not limited to: behavioral observations, life critical safety audits, safety walkabouts, EHAT audits, and weekly/monthly safety meetings
- Mentor less experienced Control System Specialists on control systems
- Seek opportunities to broaden expertise
- Keep current on developments in the control systems field
- Attend and participate at corporate CSE technical exchanges
- Attend industry conferences as opportunities arise
- High school diploma or GED required
- Must have a minimum of 6 years of industry experience in Operations or Maintenance I&E, or alternatively 4 years' experience with an associate degree in instrumentation, electronics, computer system technology, process technology or similar field of study
- This position requires development and execution of procedures and best practices required to maintain the operational excellence of the process control systems
- An individual in this position must be capable of planning and managing the work of a small group of resources, both internal and external that may be involved in the installation, repair, diagnostic testing or upgrade of the process control systems
- An individual in this position must also be able to effectively communicate priorities and recommendations, relating to process control systems hardware, to all levels within the Bayport Plant
- Experience in DCS board operation or maintenance/troubleshooting of process control and safety instrumented systems a plus
- Experience with configuration, programming, Honeywell control systems, computer networking systems and programmable logic controllers is desired
Builds effective teams:
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity:
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston