Are you passionate about making a difference in people's lives? Are you motivated to learn and connect people with cutting edge technology? Do you go the extra mile to provide customer delight? Then you should join the Hargray team as a Sr. Design Engineer.
General Description of Position:
The Sr. Design Engineer will perform design and cost estimates pertaining to new-build and over-build of Hargray’s OSP facilities. Primary responsibilities include utilizing basic GIS-based field and drafting tools to perform field operations such as taking field notes, drafting such field notes, submitting permits, and obtaining financial approval on a given project. Additionally, this position will support supervisors in the planning and managing of weekly and monthly schedules, as well as identify resource gaps for upcoming workloads. The ideal candidate for this role should constructively challenge assumptions in the spirit of continuous improvement and guide junior-level engineers to solutions through collaboration.
The Company: For over 70 years, Hargray has been connecting customers to each other and the world, growing from a local phone company to an industry leader providing residential, business, enterprise, and carrier wholesale communications services. Our mission is to envision and deliver customer delight. In addition to our long history of dedication and commitment to our community, we offer benefits for your health, wealth, protection, well-being, time, and more. Our team of over 700 colleagues supporting local markets throughout the southeast is committed to excellence, delivering the most advanced technology and the best service for our customers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops overall OSP system design for new developments and over-builds for fiber facilities.
- Prepares cost estimates and material requirements for projects, manages project financials and performs financial true-up of projects at close.
- Prepares conduit drawings for power companies and developers.
- Prepares and maintains detailed assignment documents of fiber projects and communicates these with Facility Engineers.
- Evaluates new OSP products and designs for possible implementation.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual engineering budget. Manages purchase orders and vendor invoices.
- Initiates OSP work orders for construction.
- Uses CAD design software to produce fiber designs and bill of materials.
- Forecasts service demands to develop short, medium, and long-range plans.
- Works with network engineers to incorporate network elements.
- Provides current new development land base and notifies mapping technicians when all changes are complete.
- Performs aerial plant engineering, including make ready and pole loading analysis.
- Prepares permits related to ROW, Railroad, and DOTs.
- Perform QC work in the field.
- Work with mapping technicians to provide/create/update special maps for OSP, sales, and management.
- Provides input on best practices, permit processes, field construction methods, and telecom products.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure the effective operation of the department.
- Associate degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Construction Management, or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in Outside Plant Engineering Design, Construction Management, or OSP Field Inspector.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing, as well as give effective presentations to Supervisors and Managers. Additionally, is able to constructively escalate problems and issues.
- Ability to work independently as well as with supervisors to develop solutions to complete assigned tasks. Shows initiative and offers assistance when needed without being asked.
- Advanced knowledge of outside plant engineering and field design methods.
- Advanced understanding of telecom products offered and how to deliver these products to external customers.
- Acts as a subject matter expert on all aspects of technical components required for field development and has working relationships with permit agencies.
- Advanced understanding of the permit process for city/county/DOT/Railroad permits.
- Basic knowledge of electrical theory.
- Advanced understanding of purchase orders and vendor invoices.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Visio, Excel, and Word is required.
- Advanced knowledge of drafting software is required.
- Advanced knowledge of 3GIS is required.