Process Safety Engineer
LyondellBasell's Houston Refinery, one of the largest refineries designed to process heavy, high-sulfur crude oil is in search of a Process Safety Engineer. Our 268,000-barrel-per-day refinery is strategically located on the U.S. Gulf Coast with access to interstate pipelines and the Port of Houston. The facility covers approximately 700 acres at the city limits of Houston and Pasadena, Texas.
The Houston Refinery was one of the first petroleum refineries constructed on the Houston Ship Channel and traces its origin to 1918. This is a high visibility position and will provide ample opportunities for growth. You will work with a team of dedicated, highly-trained professionals.
The purpose of this position is to provide the technical support and assurance of process safety and Operational Excellence for the site. As such, this position owns the assurance of site procedures associated with Corporate Operational Excellence standards, guidelines and preferred practices. Additionally, this position will serve as the liaison to the capital projects organization to assure timely and effective management of process safety initiatives.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance to OSHA PSM regulations, leading and conducting the PSM/RMP Compliance Audits, and ensuring EPA RMP submittals are updated per regulation.
- Analyze PS Metrics and provide insight on trends from PS incidents such that the asset team can focus on issues.
- Responsible for the development and integration of a capital project process safety process to assure the implementation of effectiveness of PHA recommendations.
- Lead Houston Refinery Operational Excellence Audit process including self-assessments and the site LYB Operational Excellence and Process Safety Corporate Audit. Evaluate these processes and incorporate learnings into existing or new procedures and processes to drive performance and sustainability.
- Periodically evaluates OE/PS audits for trends for OE Excellence Models that position is responsible for and recommends actions to improve compliance to standards and best practices.
- May review surveys and assessments of Houston Refining's equipment and process as might be required by OESEP to ensure that they are adequate and sufficient.
- Ensures and tracks compliance with new Directives, Advisories and Alerts.
- Communicate external process safety events to the site and share best practices identified within the company.
- Facilitate project PHAs and unit PHA Revalidations. Supports and assures that the PHA process is followed by completing Handshakes of Process Safety information from Risk Assessments, Management of Change projects, Incident Investigations, Audits, etc. Assure equipment identified as IPLs during risk assessments are properly integrated into site management systems such as MOWP, ASP, RBI, SIS, etc.
- Represent PS as member of incident investigation for asset team area when necessary.
- PHA (HAZOP/What IF)/LOPA/QRA, train personnel and assist in implementation and performance monitoring. Analyze high risk PHA output in LOPA reviews to ensure the proper mitigation sufficiency.
- Lead the Process Safety Steering Team, participate LYB on Operational Excellence Network and participate as site representative on the AFPM Texas Gulf Coast and ACC Regional Process Safety Networks.
- Complete QA/QC checks for PHAs, QRAs, and LOPAs facilitated by others.
- Lead site Process Safety Mentorship process including mentoring Process Safety Specialists, Coops and others onsite.
- Serve as Process Safety Representative for Asset Teams.
- Operational Excellence Management System focal point.
- Ensure compliance with PSM/RMP and for OE standards within positions responsibility
- Manages and tracks LFE process
- Timely inform plant management when identified risk is outside the risk tolerance criteria of the company.
- Provides QA/QC for site process safety incident classification.
- Representation and communication of process safety to the respective asset team such as through Leave No Doubt, PS communications, quick hits, JHSC Audits, Asset Safety Team attendance, etc.
- Prepare information and participate in Asset Team Assure Safe Production GoalZero meetings.
- Review Incident Reports/Investigations and MOCs for PS impact.
- Supports refinery training efforts by identifying process safety training gaps and developing effective training to close.
- Performance results - Assurance of Management of Change, PHA, Facility Siting and Incident Investigation work process on an annual basis (Self-Assessment of Process). Assist with reviews of other processes.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering required. Other engineering degrees would be considered with a Master's Degree in Process Safety.
- Minimum 8-10 years prior experience working as an engineer with relevant experience in the refining, petrochemical, or chemical process industries.
- Requires thorough knowledge of process safety requirements and advanced application of risk analysis techniques such as QRA, LOPA, HAZOP and Bowtie Analysis (ISA 84.1).
- LYB Risk Management and Audit document requirements.
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 55 sites in 17 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including; packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.