LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the fourth consecutive year.
The Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) function is responsible for design, implementation and integration of risk management at all levels throughout the enterprise. One of the key work streams of the function is providing dedicated business support to those areas of key strategic importance. This includes providing independent project risk management support to our Global Project team which undertake a large portfolio of capital investment projects and turnarounds within the Global Engineering & Turnarounds organization which help shape the future growth of the company and maintain capital planning for the organization.
They will act as the Project Risk and Turnaround team lead for capital investment projects in North Americas and on occasion provide supervision and less experienced members of staff. They will also act as the Risk Lead for Turnarounds above $25mm in North Americas. Turnarounds are cyclical essential maintenance events at LYB. They play an important role in maintaining reliable productive capacity. They are major projects that requires sound planning, execution and control to ensure they are delivered safely and meet schedule and cost objectives. They also must deliver reliable unit performance at target capacities over the cycle. The role will provide support to the ERM function in undertaking complex qualitative and quantitative analysis and provide facilitation, guidance and training to project risk analysts and project teams.
Using your expertise as a seasoned Risk Manager and Team Lead you will monitor projects so that they adhere with the project risk management procedures and provide advice to project manager and sponsors by carrying out risk assessments. The role takes leadership accountability for consistently improving Project and Turnaround Risk Management capability to help achieve execution cost, schedule, reliability and safety objectives. The incumbent will be recognized throughout the company as a subject matter expert in project risk management.
This role reports directly to the Director of Enterprise Risk Management.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Leading and managing the allocation of resources and team assignments on the Capital and Turnaround portfolio in North Americas Championing/facilitating/involvement in developing Project Risk Management Execution Plans on profit generating projects and plant projects (from $10mm - $2billion) that are right-sized to project needs and meet existing corporate risk expectations/requirements.
- Responsible for the capability development of project risk and turnaround risk team members in NA to improve drive for excellence in risk management support.
- Works with Project and Turnaround leaders to ensure that risk management is proactively considered in to the Turnaround Excellence Model and the model follows risk-based thinking
- Where projects present a high-level of complexity, coach and guide the team on carrying out qualitative, quantitative assessments to give the best advice to project managers and project directors and sponsors on proposed risk-based contingencies.
- Manage and coach the teams so that projects have a fit-for-purpose process to ensure that the risk data is accurate, timely and relevant and that appropriate risk responses such as dedicated actions plans are in place and being acted upon within agreed timeframes and escalated if timeframes are missed
- Provide regular reports to project managers on the risk status of projects including Risk Management KPIs and provide advice on the management of contingency to help provide assurance that the project is delivered to meet budget expectations.
- Assists in the development of management reporting related to changes in the risk profile such as highlighting contingency vs regular changes in financial risk exposure on the project and schedule risk analysis outputs to the project controls office
- Developing and leading Turnaround teams through the Turnaround Excellence Model (i.e. Lifecycle) and ensure risks are up to date and that appropriate risk responses are in place and is acted upon. Providing regular reports to Turnaround Event Managers and Turnaround Core & Management Teams and to provide impartial independent assurance that the risk statuses of the turnarounds are monitored efficiently.
- Championing/facilitating/involvement in developing early Risk Management Plans on Turnarounds above $25mm meet existing corporate risk expectations/requirements.
- Facilitate the identification and analysis of risk management on turnarounds throughout the lifecycle encouraging early risk identification
- Quality assure and carry out qualitative, quantitative assessments to give the best advice to Turnaround teams in risk-based scope selection, contingencies, discoveries and schedule risk analysis at funding milestones
- Identify trends and interdependencies through reviewing the causes and consequences of different risks throughout projects and facilitate conversations with various functions and disciplines on the project such as project controls, technical disciplines such as engineering throughout the company to ensure alignment and consistency in the management of risks.
- Can confidently explain the value and benefits of risk management to stakeholders.
- Keeps relevant knowledge up-to-date by attending seminars, training sessions, and workshops, as necessary to develop and ensure success of project risk management principles.
- Bachelor's degree in an Engineering, Finance or a Project discipline or other related field required. Graduate degree is preferred.
- A preference of 15 years of experience in a professional environment including significant exposure in a project controls management discipline with some preferably in Risk Management.
- Strong team management experience and experience of cultivating innovation and empowering team members
- Understanding and application of project management and project controls processes such as scheduling and planning, estimating, change control etc.
- Experienced and enjoys risk management facilitation to stakeholders at all levels within the project.
- Able to build risk models in a number of applications, which accurately represent the complexities of cost and schedule risk.
- Able to coach and challenge management and non-specialists on the results of risk management.
- Membership of the Project Management Institute is preferred.
- English required.
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Houston