This position is responsible for expanding the Company's Product Line through Product Research and Development. The candidate, as part of a product development team, will develop embedded control software for use in Ward Leonards new and existing products.
The candidate will support Ward Leonards efforts in the development of real-time, highly reliable and high-quality embedded system and PLC software according to established processes. Activities will encompass the entire software life cycle from requirements definition through final testing as well as concentrated effort in specific areas. The individual will provide senior technical support to one or more small teams and is expected to work independently with minimum supervision. He/she will be expected to provide technical leadership in embedded software development while interfacing with other technical and program areas within and outside of Ward Leonard.
The candidate will also support process improvements and develop technical manuals in direct support of any software efforts. Flexibility in assuming maintenance of existing code and a willingness to approach new and unfamiliar problems within project timelines are required.
Education / Experience
M.S. or B.S. in CS or EE, or equivalent, 10+ years experience in software engineering and working knowledge of computer architecture and device-level software is required. Knowledge and experience in the design and testing of control system software, networking software, communications protocols and test software is preferred. Familiarity with real time operating systems and modern integrated development environments is highly desirable. Excellent technical writing skills is a plus.
Due to the nature of the products developed at Ward Leonard, quality assurance and process control are a top priority and a successful candidate will have experience working with various software quality assurance systems and contributing to the continues evolution. Ward Leonard currently uses or plans to use the following software standards:
- Software Quality Assurance (IEEE 730, SS-473)
- Product Lifecycle Management (IEEE 12207)
- Configuration Management (IEEE 828 with Subversion)
Experience with the following list of tools, languages and technologies are required:
- Programming Languages
- Java (FX, RMI, JAXB)
- Integrated Development Environments
- TI Code Composer Studio
- Allen-Bradley RSLogix 5000
- TI Sitara (ARM v7)
- Allen Bradley ControlLogix
- Allen Bradley PanelView
- PROFIBUS (IEC 61158 Type 3)
Experience with the following list of tools, languages and technologies are recommended:
- JIRA Issue Tracking
- Integrated Development Environments
- Allen-Bradley Studio 5000
- Networks/Fieldbus and Network Technologies
- Ethernet (Ethernet/IP, TCP/IP, UDP/IP, MODBUS, HTTP)
Customer/Vendor Work Relationships
The candidate must effectively interface with customers / suppliers and all internal company departments.
Works to improve Advanced Controls Engineerings procedures and methods to reduce time and ensures that all components and finished products meet the required specifications.
This position reports to the manager in the Controls Engineering group.
Position requires sitting at a desk doing normal office work, including phone communications and using a computer. Also involves standing and walking in an office, lab environment and a manufacturing facility.
Environmental / Safety / Time Allocation
- The nominal work week consists of 40 hrs, 8 hours per day Monday through Friday. Flexible start/stop times are permitted.
- Spends approximately 80% of time working at a desk in a normal office environment.
- Spends about 20% of time on work away from desk, including going out into shop and lab. Must wear eye protection and any other required personal protective equipment while on the shop floor.
- Some travel is required to support Customers or to attend professional development activities.
Training / Cross Training / Progression
As a Senior Engineer the employee will participate in the training of colleagues and subordinates as appropriate.