Location: Vernon Hills, IL
- The Senior System Engineer recommends, designs, implements, and optimizes the IBM Power Systems infrastructure and IBMi Operating systems.
- The Senior Engineer applies expert knowledge and skills to deliver a stable, secure, fault tolerant, scalable, and flexible IBM Power Systems infrastructure for operations.
- The role leads support efforts when IBM Power Systems problems arise and coordinates and drives successful implementations with staff and vendor personnel, including contributing to the client's IBM Power Systems technology strategy and participating in product evaluation and selection.
- This individual will also mentor and provide guidance to the System Engineering staff.
- Support, install, maintain, and troubleshoot IBM Power Systems and related software.
- Coordinate and/or complete repairs of physical and logical failures.
- Optimize and design processes to ensure proper software and firmware patch levels.
- Remediate issues and identify the root causes from IBM Power Systems error events and monitor for performance bottlenecks.
- Lead the technical architecture documentation for the client's IBM Power Systems infrastructure and ensure they are up-to-date.
- Identify, recommend and implement hardware upgrades and coordinates installation activities.
- Manage and maintain the IBM Power Systems storage, backup and virtualization architecture.
- Coordinate and design IBM Power Systems implementations for application environments with coworkers and vendor personnel.
- Act as a technical point of reference for and mentor other Engineers.
- Collaborate with business owners to complete server project requirements.
- Participate in business continuity planning for infrastructure.
- Coordinate with IT Help Desk to communicate issue status and respond to questions.
- Rotates On-Call support responsibility.
- Support security policies, practices, and guidelines for the server infrastructure.
- Researches, recommends tests and installs new hardware and software versions as required meeting business needs and using best practices.
- Proactively collaborate cross-departmentally on projects.
- Work additional evening and weekend hours as necessary.
Education and/or Experience Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 7 years of Information Technology Engineering experience installing/upgrading/managing IBM Power Systems
- Technical certifications associated to the chosen technological track.
- Expert working knowledge of the appropriate storage systems and physical hardware.
- Proven history of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
- Flexibility to work evening and weekend hours as necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to relay technical information to a non-technical audience and effectively interact with all stakeholders including senior leadership.
- Solid process documentation skills.
- Advanced knowledge of IBM i operating system.
- Advanced knowledge of Power Systems hardware platform.
- Proficient with IBM Backup, Recovery, Media Services (BRMS).
- Working knowledge of Dell/EMC IDPA Backup and recovery system.
- Proficient with operating system replication technologies such as Robot HA or similar.
- Proficient with hardware-based replication such as IBM Power HA and Spectrum.
- Proficient ability to use IBM iDoctor and MPG Performance Navigator to collect and analyze performance data.
- Proficient with external storage technology and IBM Virtual I/O Server (VIOS).
- Working knowledge of WebSphere Products (MQ, Application Server).
- Demonstrated use of IBM i CL commands and scripting.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications for project planning and communication.
- Manages the install of IBM i OS cumulative fix packs and technical refreshes on a defined schedule per best practices.
- Manages the install of IBM Power System hardware updates and fix packs using the management console (HMC) GUI.
- Collaborates with application developers to insure uninterrupted system access and maintains Test/Development environments.
- Leads the collaboration with application development teams to identify and effect change to optimize applications that are using excessive system resources.
- Leads the coordination of scheduling new system or application batch jobs for production environments using either the IBM Advanced Job Scheduler or IT job scheduling systems.
**If this is not a fit for you or you are not interested, Ascent Services Group offers an excellent Referral Bonus! We look forward to hearing from you!
About Ascent: The Ascent Services Group (ASG) is a nationally recognized technology staffing and consulting firm whose fundamental business is providing staffing services to Small, Medium, and Large Enterprise clients in our core market verticals: Financial Services, Healthcare, Technology and Life Sciences. As consultants for ASG, you will have access to many of the top clients within the industries we serve. Our goal is to deliver innovative talent through proven best practices and effective resource optimization. Become one of ASG’s candidates and experience the difference!