Reporting to the Modernization Program Manager, the Technical Agile Project Manager (TAPM) will be responsible for the day-to-day oversight of development processes and teams with a focus on ensuring quality of code, Acceptance Criteria, Unit Testing, and all processes, checkpoints, and sign-offs having to do with the programming activities of the design/development/test teams. This key role is responsible for planning, leading, organizing, and motivating agile project teams to achieve a high level of performance and quality in delivering an enterprise-level agile program that provides exceptional business value to users and members.
The ideal candidate will be results driven, managing multiple teams while utilizing multi-platform technologies, third party vendors and testing vendors. He/she will drive projects to completion, and motivate teams to meet goals. The successful candidate will oversee technical projects for pension processing, financial transaction or similar enterprise solution technology systems.
At an enterprise level, the TAPM will be responsible for overseeing multiple concurrent scrum teams in a Scaled Agile environment to develop an application in a fast-paced environment. At a team level, the TAPM plays a supervisory role to ensure compliance with the defined development processes and standards, and a coaching role to members of the team as needed to optimize the efficiency of the project teams, and the quality of the product that they produce. In a hybrid Agile environment, the TAPM will use good judgment and skill to develop a project oversight approach that is suitable for planning and managing the effort to achieve the project goals within designated project constraints. In performing this role, the TAPM will be expected to use a high level of knowledge and experience in blending traditional project management principles and practices with an Agile development approach in the right proportions to fit a large, complex, mission-critical, enterprise-level program to provide the right balance of agility and predictability.
Working closely with the Product Owners, Subject Matter Experts, Scrum Masters and Release Train Engineers (RTEs), the TAPM will facilitate and guide the teams through agile practices and ceremonies, including backlog grooming sessions, sprint planning, daily scrum meetings, sprint demos, and retrospectives with a focus on producing high-quality, bug-free code that meets the needs of the business and member community.
The TAPM will keep the Program Manager apprised on a weekly basis of the activities, roadblocks, and progress of each team. One of the main goals of the TAPM is to provide a 'no surprises' environment for the Program Manager, the user community, and executive management.
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in a Technical field such as Computer Science or Management Information Systems
- PMP certification, Certified SAFe Agilist, Certified Scrum Master
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for regular and timely delivery of highest quality code; prepare and distribute progress reports to Program Manager; manage development risks and issues; work with scrum masters to correct deviations from plans; and perform delivery planning for assigned projects
- Assist in team development while holding teams accountable for their commitments, removing roadblocks to their work; leveraging organizational resources to improve capacity for project work; and mentoring and developing team members
- Support and coach the Product Owner, Scrum Master and RTEs in managing expectations for project deliverables, managing stakeholder communications, and helping to implement an effective system of project governance
- Oversee the development projects and ensure the quality of all signoffs and milestones. Also oversee the development of Acceptance Criteria, the grooming of User Stories, and development of unit test plans. The focus in on quality, completeness, and accuracy, not just 'checking the boxes' that something has been completed.
- Work with Scrum Masters in facilitating and guiding the teams through Agile practices and ceremonies, including backlog grooming sessions, sprint planning, daily Scrum meetings, sprint demos, sprint reviews, and retrospectives
- Guide teams in time estimating practices and facilitates team estimates
- Manage project conflicts, challenges and dynamic business requirements to keep teams running on pace with planned cadences
- Lead team effort in continuous improvement to maintain the velocity and quality of the program
- Support Product Owner with intra-team dynamics with respect to priorities and scope
- Define and manage a well-defined project management process and champion ongoing process improvement initiatives to implement best practices for Agile Project Management
- A proven track record of successfully implementing high-quality software development projects using Agile methodologies including 8+ years of experience as a Project Manager managing enterprise-level, complex projects with multi-function teams.
- 2+ years as a Scrum Master in software development project, managing teams in a Scrum, SAFe or similar methodology, with the ability to advise on industry best practices
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle models as well as expert knowledge of Agile, SAFe, Kanban, and traditional project management principles and practices and the ability to blend them together in the right proportions to fit a project and business environment
- Experience overseeing multi-function project scrum teams including Developers, Testers, Business Analysts, Product Owners, Subject Matter Experts, and QA Personnel
- Balanced business/technical background:
- 2+ years in a hands-on software application development or technical testing role
- Ability to provide leadership to business analysts and collaborate with users and develop solutions of high quality and business value
- Extensive experience managing Government, Pension or Financial Institution industry projects/industry knowledge a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence
- Solid understanding of and demonstrated experience in using appropriate tools:
- Microsoft Project, Visio, SharePoint, and all Office Tools
- Microsoft Team Foundation Server
- Expert coach on implementation of agile scrum
- Deep understanding of the fundamentals of iterative and incremental development
- Solid experience working with Architecture teams to assess and size story/epics
- Experience managing/implementing project time tracking systems
- Experience with user story grooming, developing acceptance criteria, and test cases
- Experience with project and task estimation techniques
- Deep understanding of agile metrics (tasks, backlog tracking, burndown metrics, velocity, user stories etc.) to analyze and improve sprint planning