LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the 'World's Most Admired Companies' for the fourth consecutive year.
The Product Application Development Manager is responsible for directing a technical team including engineers and researchers to deliver on business unit goals in the areas of product and process development. The position works closely with multiple internal and external stakeholder groups to execute business strategies, while also managing the communication between the multidisciplinary interfaces to ensure alignment and seamless coordination of interdependencies. Success in this role will mean driving cost discipline in optimization of existing technologies, while delivering new technologies aligned with market trends to build long term competitive advantage, industry leading EBITDA performance, and facilitating LyondellBasell's leadership position in this industry.
Roles & Responsibilities
Drives GoalZERO HSE performance and champions behaviors reflecting the culture and values of the organization, facilitating a safe, rewarding, and inclusive work environment, without bias.
Possesses a deep and broad fundamental understanding of key technologies and applications in the respective market segments, and uses these skills to drive development activities within the group.
Possesses an excellent understanding of the responsibilities of key cross functional groups and uses this knowledge to effectively and quickly drive development activities within the group.
Proactively conducts dialogues with direct reports and holds them accountable to their defined projects and goals / objectives.
Understands the long-term strategic vision for the Company, and leads efforts to work with key stakeholders to translate and integrate these into objectives and action plans, while also driving resource/equipment selection and allocation to align with strategic vision.
Provides strategic leadership in the identification, development and implementation of tools, systems and processes aimed at continuously improving product and process development and project management effectiveness.
Understands broad customer, market and industry needs / trends, and facilitates the group's interaction with other cross functional organizations to frame these into value added opportunities.
Drives and manages teamwork and collaboration within the group while also fostering effective communication across functions - aligns resources as necessary to meet business needs.
Drives improvement and development of direct reports, assisting in hiring and training efforts - empowers employees to make decisions.
Understands financial analysis and drives the utilization of good project management skills and tools to effectively advance product and process development projects.
Leads efforts to embrace and drive change, while also challenging the status quo and influencing management as necessary.
1. Degreed in Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, or related engineering degree, Doctorate preferred.
1. Preference is a minimum of 10 years in product development of functional additive, black and white masterbatches targeting consumer and industrial markets.
2. Applications experience or high competency in blown and cast film, extrusion coating and lamination, adhesive lamination, orientation processes (tenter frame, double bubble, and machine direction orientation), fiber, and printing is preferred.
3. Knowledgeable of film structure design and functional requirements for packaging applications.
1. Knowledge and practical experience of the properties, characteristics and processing behavior of polymeric materials, additives, functional modifiers, and the formulation of masterbatches.
2. Knowledge and practical experience in material and film characterization, testing, and data interpretation
3. Knowledge and practical experience in fiber, film, sheet & profile extrusion, injection molding, and blow molding
4. Competent in project management, application of statistical experimental methodology, process improvement techniques, and fundamental business operational practices.
5. Knowledge and practical experience in consumer and industrial applications utilizing masterbatches
6. Strong leadership, communication, situational management, managerial agility, systemic thinking and planning skills
7. Strong influencing skills, managerial courage and a broad perspective
1. Proficient IT skills, including e-mail, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Sharepoint, Teams, Minitab or similar, and information technology systems.
2. Knowledge of Quality Management Systems for design and development and Regulatory Agency compliance requirements for consumer and industrial markets - IATF 16949, FDA, DMF, NSF
1. Must be fluent in oral and written communication of the English language. Spanish language is a plus.
Builds effective teamsCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer focusDemonstrates courageDrives resultsEnsures accountabilityInstills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.
Nearest Major Market: Akron
Nearest Secondary Market: Cleveland