JOB SUMMARY - ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/DUTIES
Serves as a technical advisor responsible for a broad program involving development, budgeting, scheduling, project management, and installation of systems. Performs in a supervisor’s role for engineers involved in the development, testing, integration, and sustainment of specialized and diverse software, electronic, and/or mechanical equipment and systems.
- Determines test objectives, instrumentation, and data requirements; write test planning documents; schedules program activities; tracks funding and expenditures; plans and conducts test missions; analyzes resultant data; and documents results in test reports, statistical evaluations, and briefing presentations.
- Directs interface with internal and external customers at all levels from quotation to final design; acts as liaison for test activities, design reviews, and technical working group meetings to comply with requirements and specifications.
- Generates complete design specifications for more complex projects.
- Coordinates and works closely with other engineering, logistics, financial and program management disciplines to define system specifications and requirements.
- Verifies and complies with engineering documentation standards and requirements.
- Prepares, delivers, and submits technical papers and performs engineering studies. Prepares, delivers, and submits technical papers and performs engineering studies. Supports development of technical proposals and provides comments on the technical content and level of effort of the proposed scope of work.
- Acts and is recognized as a Company/industry expert resource on the most complex engineering problems.
- Maintains technical project responsibility for assigned tasks and advises management of progress in support of the technical and administrative direction of project operations.
- Conducts site visits and experimental investigations and analyzes engineering problems, proposes solutions and alternatives, and provides recommendations.
- Develops, interprets, and implements technical and administrative operating policies and procedures.
- Performs other position-related duties and assignments as directed.
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
As a senior telephony engineer, the incumbent provides engineering support in the design, installation, and sustainment of fixed and wireless telecommunication systems with specific responsibilities to include:
- Interface with the internal and external customers to gather telecommunication network needs.
- Derive and document telecommunication system requirements from customer needs.
- Conduct market research and document analysis of alternatives for potential solutions to customer needs.
- Install, integrate, and sustain an enterprise telecommunication network hardware and software.
- Develop system baseline documentation to include network diagrams, configuration, and operations and sustainment procedures.
- Develop, execute, and report on telecommunication network system performance testing.
- Provide mentoring and training to customers, junior engineers, and other technical staff.
This position predominately involves working in an office environment with some field work. Routine travel to remote locations is required. The position requires working around electrified equipment associated with telecommunication systems. This is occasional lifting of equipment weighing up to 40 lbs.
REQUIREMENTS – EDUCATION, TECHNICAL AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer related field from an ABET-accredited institution with 4 years of related engineering experience.
- 4 years of experience in design, installation, and sustainment of fixed and wireless telecommunication systems.
- 4 years of experience with hands-on advanced troubleshooting support to the operations department.
- Must be able to qualify for and maintain a TS/SSBI security clearance and have a current valid driver’s license.
- In addition to the specific job responsibilities, JT3 desires candidates with knowledge and experience of fixed and wireless telephony systems to include PBX, Central Office, IMS, 3G and 4G networks.
- Knowledge and experience with telephony interfaces and protocols to include SS7, SIGTRAN, ISUP, ISDN, SIP, RTP, H.323, and SONET/SDH to include troubleshooting, performance test and measurement is also desired.
- Must be driven and have the desire to continuously learn and develop knowledge of current and emerging telephony technologies, practices, and systems.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of persons so classified.