Notes from Intake call on 4/23/19:
- Role is in Irving, TX and will be an onsite role
- Ed Whelan is Director of Quality and the HM
- Do not need leader type but can be more of a technical type that can be trained on becoming a leader
- QA test methodology and the ability to assess testing cycles and make sure they are being met with schedules and relay back to mgt
- Emphasis will be more on the test engineer side. Test Engineering Manager or Software Quality Mgr. would be a better title
- No longer expect the systems management to be done by this person
- Some of the candidates that they have had they are in Agile and Scrum practice. Some software test engineer leadership
- Have seen more people that have the skills for test engineering or test automation but they seem to have more emphasis on the web based side versus functional side
- Test and automation on a functional product side is what we want
- Truly is a test manager as it relates to the product and not involved in systems management QA
- Final acceptance and find the bugs before it goes to the customer
- Salary - 125K-130K range + 10% bonus
- Very good strong 401K program (will send summary of benefits from client)
- Some challenges with the team so a person that has good mgt skills would be good
- This is a remote site so need to be a strong person
- Independent nature to the role but will be working alongside with senior mgt at other locations
- Phone interview to start and background on company and structure, how PM and team members work, give them a chance to talk to their experience and then next step would be an onsite interview.
Train Dynamic Systems (TDS), a unit of New York Air Brake, is the worldwide leading industry expert in train dynamics, train control, and training simulators. To improve profitability, railroads need to increase the productivity of both their fleet and human resources. Computer-based training provides a variety of methods for achieving these objectives while train control systems provide increased fuel efficiencies and better train handling. New York Air Brake's interactive freight train simulator, TDS-6000, and their industry changing train control system, LEADER, offers an excellent vehicle for optimizing railroad profitability.
The TDS-6000 (Train Dynamic Systems) can improve operational efficiency and reduce training costs and is an extremely useful tool in accident investigation. Its architecture is highly versatile and flexible, making it suitable for all railroads, regardless of size. Backed by unrivaled New York Air Brake customer support, TDS-6000 provides a practical, cost-effective system that will define 'training for the future.'
LEADER® (Locomotive Engineer Assist/Display & Event Recorder) is a revolutionary new freight train management system designed to improve train handling and yield significant fuel savings. LEADER assists locomotive engineers in reducing fuel consumption while effectively managing trip time and minimizing in-train forces. LEADER's back-office software utilities help railroads organize and analyze locomotive engineer operating databases to improve both train-handling performance and overall train operating efficiencies.
Join TDS in this exciting time to develop leading edge products for our customers!
- Manage overall software and system verification and validation testing to ensure TDS products meet customers' requirements. Participate in discussions with customers on quality topics.
- Manage internal audits following corporate quality policy to ensure TDS continue meeting internal and external quality standards.
- Directs the activities of TDS quality department during preprogram proposal, program planning, implementation, testing, and production phases to ensure that all quality artifacts and final products achieve expected quality criteria.
- Lead TDS monthly quality review, annual management review, as well as external ISO, CMMI, and customer audits and appraisals.
- Act as continuous improvement change agent to lead internal stakeholders in overall development methods and processes improvement with direct responsibilities in verification and validation, and quality assurance areas.
- Drive continuous improvement projects by utilizing continual improvement tools such as DMAIC, Six Sigma, Agile methodology.
- Participate in TDS strategic and budget planning to ensure TDS quality department has right resources, skills, and equipment to completed work effectively.
- Interact regularly with product line manager, engineers, project management/operation to promote quality culture and institutionalize TDS quality management systems.
- Willingness to challenge established ways of doing things in a constructive way.
- Maintain inspection procedures, sampling test methods, and product quality assurance in compliance with all Integrated management system standards
- Demonstrate proactive and strategic thinking, need to able to both look at big picture and focus on details.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; confident and capable in a customer facing role.
- Ability to make independent decisions and successful track record of influencing key stakeholders.
- The ability to independently analyze data, identify trends, formulate and implement corrective action to improve overall quality systems compliance, effectiveness, and efficiency.
- The ability to self-motivate to a high level of productivity.
- Understand system/software development life cycle
- Understand project management principle
- 7-10+ years of experience
- Work experience in quality standard such as ISO 9001, CMMI
- Work experience in software/system development in one or more following roles, development, testing, or quality assurance
- Team and performance management experience.
- Experience in overall quality management systems for an organization.
- Software/system testing experience
- Experience in safety product development in military, transportation, or medical device
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Computer Science
- Master's degree preferred
Training/ Certifications: None mandated, but industry related certifications are helpful, Six-Sigma, CQE, CQM, ISO 9001, CMMI training, safety standard (CENELEC, MIL-STD-882)
EOE/M/F/D/V * Job Location - Irving, Texas, United States * Position Type - Full-Time/Regular