The Tooling/Fixture Designer is responsible for designing, designing alteration and designing repairs for a wide variety of tools, jigs, tooling and holding fixtures, and gages to very close aerospace tolerances. Understand complex specialized tasks utilizing machine tools. Understand how milling machines, lathes, surface grinders and various other machine tools operate. Builds print and 3D models of various tooling fixtures and jigs to aide in the aircraft airframe and engine repair process. Consults with engineers in the development of new tools. Will be required to assist in the design and manufacture of tooling fixture prototype production runs. Has to have working knowledge of Inventor Software. Has to have metallurgy knowledge. Responsible for working with toolmaker on fabricating , repair and maintenance of machine shop tools, jigs and holding fixtures. Work with toolmakers while preforming cuts, forms and drilling of bent tube assemblies and raw stock using various metal working equipment such as Bridgeports, lathes, end formers, surface grinders and presses. SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES -
- Plan and construct designs for altering and repairing a wide variety of tools, jigs, fixtures and gauges to very close aerospace tolerances.
- Work with toolmaker to create work holdings and fixtures which can reduce cycle times and improve part's finish and quality
- Understand development work and difficult tool room operations.
- Ability to read and manufacture a blueprints.
- Plan construction procedures and methods and select materials for tooling.
- Diagnose and correct problems in tools, fixtures or dies.
- Manual mills
- Manual lathes
- Manual jig bores
- Boring mills
- Surface grinders
- Work closely with other machinists/toolmakers to solve machining / fit problems
- CNC Experience a plus
- Practices safety-conscious behaviors in all operational processes and procedures
- Have Inventor Software experience