General Description of Position:
Reporting to the SVP, Tech. & Operations, the Vice President of Network Engineering is accountable for the performance of all Engineering related activities by providing strategic leadership and establishing and directing all aspects of engineering policies, objectives, and initiatives based on long-term profitability goals.
The Engineering Leader's primary responsibility is to lead the engineering to efficiently develop appropriate project planning, capital budgeting and assist with business plan development and project solutions, advance critical technology enablers, and execute projects that serve the customer base. Also, be responsible for ensuring a high degree of cross-functional communication and maintaining relationships with senior-level technical contacts within customer organizations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic leadership to the engineering organization by monitoring and guiding all Engineering Initiatives; ensuring a chain of accountability runs from the division leads to the department managers and to the individual Engineers
- Lead the execution of project design to meet the company’s financial objectives and develop and exercise controls to ensure compliance with company standard and quality requirements
- Works closely with SVP, Technology, and Operations to develop and implement annual plans per agreed upon metrics and measurements
- Reviews contracts for all work, studying terms and conditions, the scope of work and services, risk, and appropriate mitigation to help assure projects are set up for successful implementation
- Develop clarity of roles & responsibilities within the engineering organization and maintain accountability tied to the roles
- Develop and support a culture of measured continuous improvement and best practices
- Cultivate a climate within the engineering organization that fosters a high level of employee motivation, performance, collaboration, and commitment
- Advise engineering team on all technical matters including problem resolution to complex issues
- Supply and maintain adequate resources for all engineering functions in the pursuit of Agile’s strategic goals and operational plans.
- Collaborate to promote and understand new and emerging technology and determine where innovative technology can be used across the organization.
- Influence roadmaps across the industry; estimates and models the impact of industry strategies, specifications, and new technologies.
- Manage and ensure projects are properly defined in scope and guide respective manager to ensure projects are properly resourced. Drive technical and execution excellence in the performance of engineering tasks, beginning with adherence to the schedule and the budget allocated to these tasks to foster efficient execution
- Provide summaries of complex technical problems to non-technical audiences that include customer and government senior leadership
- Attend trade shows, conferences, and exhibitions that are aligned with the segment growth strategy
- Develops clients, multi-level relationships, and ultimately alliances for a sustainable business pipeline
- Develop, review and track goals for each direct report to ensure achievement of company goals. Recruit, hire and train direct reports as necessary.
- Conduct quarterly and annual performance reviews of direct reports.
- Evaluate training needs for personnel so that they can meet or exceed company goals and allocate time and resources necessary to facilitate training.
- Works on special projects and presentations as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Engineering or related technical field, or equivalent work experience. Business degree/acumen a plus.
- 10 or more years of related experience with increasing scope of responsibility, with 7 or more years in senior leadership.
- Extraordinary dynamic leadership capability including demonstrated ability to be a change agent and influence the direction of the organization while maintaining a culture where employees are recognized as important assets to the organization
- Ability to link technology vision and strategy with overall business objectives and communicate rationale in a compelling, concise manner
- Capacity to maintain a big picture, strategic outlook while having the ability to iterate from company strategy to product development and planning
- Deep and demonstrable understanding and experience in deploying and optimizing multiple network platforms, including legacy networks from ILEC and MSO environments as well as next-generation technologies such as MPLS and SDN.
- Deep and demonstrable experience in fiber optic service delivery and/or engineering, practices, and procedures.
- Deep, demonstrable experience in Wi-Fi technologies, including outdoor metropolitan deployments. Experience and understanding of wireless and mobile technologies including digital microwave, 2G, 3G, and 4G mobile technologies.
- Proven experience in designing large scale, carrier-class Cisco and Juniper layer 3 networks
- Experience designing and operating network monitoring and service level reporting solutions.
- Experience in defining capacity planning requirements.
- Deep and demonstrable experience with carrier-grade Billing and Operational support systems.
- Ability to manage and organize multiple priorities with little or no direction.
- Demonstrated ability to operate under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience managing multiple stakeholders, including Boards of Directors, Municipal/County/State, and Federal Governments, other utilities and regulators. Regulatory experience is a definite asset.
- Experience working with private and public shareholders, including Private Equity.
- Ability to manage operational groups over large geographies, and to manage multiple complex outsourcing arrangements.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving skills at both strategic and functional levels.