Guided by practice group objectives and priorities, the eData Review Manager is responsible for facilitating the delivery of Managed Review legal services. This position works closely with the eData Senior Legal Team and Practice Technology teams to develop and manage operational controls for the systematic delivery of quality managed review services consistent with the legal and business objectives of the eData Practice Group, the firm, and the firm’s clients.
The eData Review Manager provides administrative oversight to their assigned eData managed review legal staff (1) providing effective coaching, guidance, and training; (2) making sure that managed review legal staff understand and follow practice group procedures and guidelines; (3) ensuring that managed review legal staff meet all administrative requirements for managed reviews, and (4) ensuring that managed review legal staff meet client service, communication and practice requirements in all areas.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works closely with practice group leadership in establishing the vision, goals and direction of eData Managed Review Services.
- Works with eData Senior Attorneys to provide administrative management oversight for managed reviews.
- Participates in developing and operationalizing approved Managed Review policies and procedures.
- Identifies, obtains, and ensures that all hardware, space, and software resource needs of the managed review staff are met by working across the eData practice group and firm administrative functions.
- Monitors managed review staff productivity and makes recommendations regarding staffing levels and organizational structure.
- Ensures that managed review legal staff are represented in eData practice group improvement, planning and operational initiatives as appropriate.
- Adheres to practice group standards and procedures, including completing staff audits, and completing quality assurances of those procedures.
- Directs progress of managed review projects, establishes project milestones, and monitors project status regularly.
- Manages and tracks project intake and closing of managed reviews, including the data/matter disposition process.
- Manages all review resources for load balance and liaises regularly with the eData staffing team.
- Participates in weekly matter run down status reports with Partners.
- Leads by example; establishes clear expectations; sets direction and priorities; ensures that work levels are balanced among all staff; resolves internal staff issues in a timely manner; keeps staff informed of all appropriate information; builds an effective team; delegates at the appropriate level.
- Facilitates the development of managed review legal staff by providing opportunities and support; provides timely feedback on work product; regularly coaches, evaluates and recognizes staff performance and accomplishments.
- Establishes/adheres to Department budget; seeks opportunities to improve Department efficiency and reduce expenses by streamlining operations.
- Provides training, resources, and oversight of the managed review budget lifecycle for eDiscovery, including assisting associates with developing cost estimates, monitoring and controlling established budgets, and ensuring that practice group billing procedures are properly completed.
- The incumbent of this job directly supervises non-supervisory employees. He/she carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the firm's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
This job requires:
- a Juris Doctorate (J.D.) or equivalent,
- Minimum five years of experience in eDiscovery or document review, with a minimum of two years of experience managing reviews and review staff or, equivalent combination of education and experience.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following knowledge skills and abilities:
- Technical skills (Excel and database experience, experience with document review platforms, experience using time keeping software)
- Written communication skills
- Verbal communication skills
- Client service skills
- Supervisory skills
- People management skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills
- Strategic thinking
- Project management skills
- Budgeting experience
- Planning/organizational skills
- Ability to adapt to change and balance competing demands
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business and professional publications, prepare business correspondence, proposals and reports, effectively present information to groups of employees, and respond to questions from employees, managers, clients and vendors.
- Advanced arithmetic skills (compute rate, ratio, percent; able to draw and interpret graphs and charts).
- Ability to solve practical problems, dealing with a variety of variables where little standardization exists.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw conclusions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient in the following software:
Administrative Applications: OneNote, SQL
Online Services: Chrome River, eRoom, SharePoint
Practice Group: Axcelerate, Concordance, Brainspace, ODIN, EPTA, Relativity
Document Management: Adobe Acrobat Professional, FileSite, Microsoft Office Access, Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office Outlook, Microsoft Office Word, Nuance Scansoft PDF Converter, Visio, Project
Firm Administrative Software: DTE, Elite, Kronos, Chrome CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Recommended but not required:
- Microsoft Office Access, SQL, Relativity, or other industry related technical certification.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Pursuant to applicable state and municipal Fair Chance Laws and Ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP is also an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are interested in applying for employment with Morgan Lewis and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please call or email the following contacts:
- Professional Staff positions – 1-866-963-7137 / email@example.com
- Lawyer/Summer Associate positions – firstname.lastname@example.org
Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.